Luas Strike - get your refunds if you are on a taxsaver ticket

podgerodge

Thought I would mention on here, as not many people seem to realise.

If you are on a taxsaver annual/monthly Luas ticket you can get a refund (cheque, debit/credit card, or onto the Leapcard) for the 4 days of strike action.

I got nearly €10 from Luas for the first 2 days and have now applied for the last 2 days. For some reason (trying to put people off claiming???) you could originally claim online - but now you have to print off a refund sheet, scan it, and email it. Hmm..

Anyway, if you want to claim for the 4 days (it allows you to pick less if you WANT!! i.e. if you didn't plan to travel that day:confused:) the link is below:

[broken link removed]

Reactions: Leo
Surely if you are on a tax saver ticket, your employer has paid for the ticket and they should be getting reimbursed, not you. They should then be adjusting what they deduct from your salary

Surely if you are on a tax saver ticket, your employer has paid for the ticket and they should be getting reimbursed, not you. They should then be adjusting what they deduct from your salary

No, in most cases the employer just facilitates the purchase, the cost is still borne by the employee.

Tax saver ticket doesn't mean the company pays for it (I wish) - it only means the amount is deducted from your gross salary instead of net. Also, some companies deduct the whole price of the ticket at once instead of monthly, or some other way (my employer deducts 1/10 of the ticket price over ten months for example).

I want my money in any case when there's no services as I have to look for alternative ways and pay for it.

Hmmm, I did fill in the online form but I haven't heard anything back from them. Might have to chase that one up then!

Tax saver ticket doesn't mean the company pays for it (I wish) - it only means the amount is deducted from your gross salary instead of net. ).

No, in most cases the employer just facilitates the purchase, the cost is still borne by the employee.

Sorry folks but I don't believe you are correct. The employer buys the ticket and pays either the transport operator or Leapcard. If it's an annual ticket they then deduct from your salary one-twelfth or some other amount monthly. The following is from Luas Taxsaver T&C's

The Employer agrees to pay the relevant Company in full for all passes purchased by the Employer under the Taxsaver Scheme, in accordance with the applicable payment terms set down by the relevant Company when ordering the passes. The Employer agrees that it shall purchase the passes under the Taxsaver Scheme and not its employees. The Employer agrees that it shall make the passes available to its employees in accordance with the Revenue Terms and Conditions

It's the employee who is out of pocket though? So shouldn't they be the ones entitled to the refund?
I don't think many employers would be agreeing to allow employees to expense their additional travel costs and then seek a refund from LUAS.
So it seems fair enough that the employee gets a refund.

[broken link removed]

It's the employee who is out of pocket though? So shouldn't they be the ones entitled to the refund?
I don't think many employers would be agreeing to allow employees to expense their additional travel costs and then seek a refund from LUAS.
So it seems fair enough that the employee gets a refund.

[broken link removed]

Absolutely agree the employee is entitled to a refund, just surprised it is being done this way since the employer owns the ticket, not the employee.

Sorry folks but I don't believe you are correct. The employer buys the ticket and pays either the transport operator or Leapcard. If it's an annual ticket they then deduct from your salary one-twelfth or some other amount monthly. The following is from Luas Taxsaver T&C's

Surely we're pretty much saying the same thing? Yes, the employer buys the ticket, but the full cost is then deducted from the employee's gross salary. So net cost to the employer is zero (apart from the cost of administration), the ticket cost is borne by the employee.

I don't think they'd expect an employer to cover the additional administration of refunds.

Absolutely agree the employee is entitled to a refund, just surprised it is being done this way since the employer owns the ticket, not the employee.

Not a lawyer so this might be a technicality - just because the employer is used to practically manage the tax saver tickets for their employees doesn't mean that the employer owns it! The Employee still pays for it - one way or the other - as part of the packages. The tax saver ticket is in my name and not the companies name. You don't have to "give it back" for example if you leave that employment.

Back