Lost chequebook - refund of government levy?

eggerb

Has anybody ever been successful in getting a refund of the government levy paid on a chequebook where it has been lost and the bank cancelled it?

Bank of Ireland has a FAQ on unused cheques:

The BOI agent I spoke to said she doesn't know about lost cheques; if the levy can be refunded.

I assume the bank isn't liable for the levy if they are not processed? Does anybody know what Revenue regulations that outline the application of the levy?

Thanks.

Back in the day I had credits applied to my account when returning unused cheque books on a number of occasions.

So far as I know, the banks stopped charging stamp duty up front (I.e. when the cheque book was issued) at some point in the 90s, and instead charged it when the cheque was cashed.

Doing a general clear-out yesterday I threw out my Ulster bank check books. Completely forgot about the government levy .

So far as I know, the banks stopped charging stamp duty up front (I.e. when the cheque book was issued) at some point in the 90s, and instead charged it when the cheque was cashed.
This is correct.

I must pay my next bill using my old Ulster Bank cheque book.......i'm sure someone will try it soon.

Back