Long Haul Flights - Preparation

Jane

Long Haul Flights - Natural Supplement

TV 3 had this topic on yesterday. They discussed the effects of DVT & how we can prevent it from occuring. As many as 1 in 10 people can develop a clot on a long haul flight, which is anything over 8 hrs flying time. Remember though, the hours we spend in the car on the way to the airport, sitting in the airport etc before we even get on the plane. So a shorter flight could still pose a problem because we have been sitting for so long even before getting on the plane! They mentioned a supplement called Zinopin.

Here are the details behind the supplement;

[broken link removed]

Jane

ClubMan said:
Does anbody have any first hand knowledge of anybody who has developerd DVT as a result of flying? I certainly don't and don't know anybody else who has.

While in Australia last year I knew of two people who had strokes about five days after their flights.

soy said:
IMHO - it is just another example of the increasingly common practice of creating a fear in order to sell a product.
The airlines are recommending the wearing of the socks also because of the risk of being sued by people who develop DVT.

I still think you need to get up and move around as much as possible during the flight. Wasn't Aspirin also recommended to help thin out the blood.

Does anbody have any first hand knowledge of anybody who has developerd DVT as a result of flying? I certainly don't and don't know anybody else who has.

ClubMan said:

Yes.

I do.

Clot went to his head

Very poor situation till he was pumped full of anticoag in Beaumont. Came right after a week or so. Very Lucky.

Also know of a pilot who toward the end of his career was having trouble breathing. Investigation showed a hugh clot in his lungs ( he spoke of it being the size of a sausage ). He had a couple of ops to remove it which helped him a bit.

Olddog

P.S. Congrats to AAM on a neat change of hosts yesterday

Most people are more likely to be hit by a bus on the way to the airport than get DVT. In certain high risk populations it may be necessary to take precautions such as moving around the plane or taking Aspirin but the above remedy seems like overkill.
IMHO - it is just another example of the increasingly common practice of creating a fear in order to sell a product.

Most people are more likely to be hit by a bus on the way to the airport than get DVT

True, but you'd look left & right before walking across the road to make sure one wasn't coming. Wearing flight socks can be likened to looking left & right !

For me it's a personal thing. When I fly, be it a 1 hour or 10 hour flight, I get really bad pains in my left leg & it swells up. For peace of mind I wear the socks & I can safely say that I walk my way there. Even still with the socks, aspirin & walking the plane, I get the pain & swelling. It is definitely better than if I sat there, didn't move, didn't wear the socks & didn't take the aspirin. I'd prefer not to have to take the aspirin, but I didn't have an alternative, now I think I do. I'd probably try this remedy next time I fly. See if it's as good.

People need to start taking responsibility for their own health. The days of trusting what our Doctors tell us as Gospel are gone. And anyone who doesn't take responsibility for themselves is a fool !

Jane

To add to this. I just heard that a friend of my brothers was taken into hospital the other night. They are just back (2 weeks) from Melbourne. They discovered that he had a blood clot in his leg. Luckily it hadn't moved & they were able to disolve it.

Seriously people, the socks are so cheap now, it's worth it investing in a pair of these at the very minimum !

Jane

The best thing to do without buying any products is plenty of movement, which I know is hard when the seatbelt sign stays on for an age. The aspirin that airlines carry on board is not your usual over the counter aspirin, its a stronger dosage. Take a large bottle of water with you and when your finished get it refilled by crew. Try and stay away from alcohol if your that worried. One drink is equal to two at 40 thousand ft and staying hydrated is prevention (alcohol has the opposite effect!). Also, if during the flight you have cause for concern pilots divert for DVT cases. Anyway enjoy your hols.

Back