lone parent now living with partner

lorr27

hi i was a lone parent for four years with two kids after my partner died, i've now had another baby with my new partner and moved him in. My lone parents is gone, my rent has quadrupled and he only earns 450 net per week, we're in big debt surely this is not a good start for us but there are no alternatives for us. I would have thought that he shouldn't have to financially support two kids that aren't his. going back to work isn't an option at the mo, i tried it and we didn't make any extra money, it just went on childcare and higher rent. Any ideas anyone i'd be really grateful?

welcome to the nightmare of alot of couples in Ireland today ! the system is really anti family. you might be able to get some family income suppliment or similar help ,you should go to the local welfare office and see if your claiming everything your entitled to,you should qualify for a medical card also .you could set up a baby minding service in your own home for a few hours a day and earn tax free cash as per the incentive in the budget 2006 .

don't qualify for widows pension, weren't married just engaged and living together, just got forms this week to renew medical card so fingers crossed i'll get to keep that, i know minister brennan was bringing out a whole new opf cohabiting thing but we wouldn't even qualify for that as both parents would have to be on social welfare, does the government want us all to sit on our behinds all day living on our own it seems to be the more glamourous option, personally though i prefer the stability of a loving family we'll still get there in the end and my kids will grow up happier for it i mean they've been through enough

my rent has quadrupled and he only earns 450 net per week, we're in big debt surely this is not a good start for us but there are no alternatives for us.
There are always alternatives such as seeking cheaper accommodation, better paying job(s), budgeting more tightly to match your budget etc.

What debts do you have?
I would have thought that he shouldn't have to financially support two kids that aren't his.
Do you mean legally or as a unilateral decision on your part? If the latter then it arguably seems like an odd decision if you are in a close/loving relationship but each to his/her own I suppose.

i mean legally, my partner isn't a bit mean, i'm just saying if my kids father were alive today he'd pay maintainance and there would be that little more income into the home, we are living on a tight budget we are very careful on what we spend money on , we scrimp and save to give our kids local holidays so they can have a comfortable lifestyle , i mean isn't that what good parenting is all about, a happy home? In a few years all should work out well i'll go back to work full time once the little fella starts school, i just thought there would be a little more help to someone in my situation if only temperory

In a few years all should work
Do you have debts? If so then this sort of hopeful approach will not deal with them and you need something more akin to a definite plan/strategy.
out well i'll go back to work full time once the little fella starts school, i just thought there would be a little more help to someone in my situation if only temperory
What sort of help? Make sure that your partner is claiming all relevant tax credits/allowances (see the Taxation key posts) and that you, as a family, are claiming all relevant welfare payments to which you are entitled.

You could get married then your partner would be able to benefit from your unused Tax Credits. Not judging, I'm a lone parent myself, but this is what I would be trying to do if I was in your position with 3 kids.
You could also apply for a FAS course in a field that's in demand; from what I remember they help subsidise your childcare while you're on a course. It would help you get a better-paid job when the kids do eventually all start school.

Unfortunately lorr it's the same for most families. Admittedly if you're married then your husband can use some of your tax credits. But if my husband was being paid 450 per week and I was at home full time we wouldn't get anything extra either, i.e. nothing that you're not entitled to.

thanks a million everyone for your advice, will follow up, will just have to chase him down the aisle with a brush!!!!;)

Back