Lone Parent - Choosing to work Part Time

Ildánach, would these calculations be correct in working out my contribution to rent:

Total income - €467.50 (wages, FIS, OPFP)
less disregard (€75.00)
Total - €392.50 x 25% = €98.13
€98.13 + €75.00 = €173.13 (total income disregard)

€467.50 - €173.13 = €294.37
Less SWA (215.80)
= €78.57
add rent contribution €24
Total rent I would pay each week = €102.57

Rent for my area is €700, so 700x12/52 = €161.54
less my contribution (€102.57)
Rent supplement = €58.97

Please feel free to correct me!

Thanks

Hi guys, does anyone know if the figures above are correct? I have been offered the Part Time hours and I can start in August so I would like to know everything before I sign on the dotted line...

Also, I was wondering if I could apply for these benefits before I start working part time or would I have to wait until I get my first payslip reflecting the part time wages?
I'm assuming there is a long wait for these claims to be processed.

Thanks again.

Hi Aleanne

No - your rent supplement figures are not correct. It is a confusing calculation and have been caught myself on the mechanics before now! Will try clarify correct figures given above

Your income is €467.50. From this you take the supplementary rate for your circumstances which is €215.90 and gives a balance of €251.60 - this is called additional household income. You are allowed take a disregard of €75 from this figure which gives a balance of €176.60 and you are allowed a further 25% of this figure as a further disregard which is €44.15. This gives you a total disregard of €119.15 (being €75 + €44.19). You take this total disregard from your additional household income of €251.60 leaving a balance of €132.45. You are required to pay this amount of your additional household income towards your total recent supplement entitlement - €161.54 in your case. You are also required to pay the minimum contribution of €24 payable by all recipients so in total you are expected to pay €24 plus €132.45 = €156.45 toward your rent from your entitlement of €161.54. So your entitlement to rent supplement amounts to €5.09.

Not sure my terminology is entirely accurate but hope that clarifies the figures for you? A

Thanks a million for that fababby. Doesn't look like there is much point applying for it.

And thanks to everyone who answered my question. Much appreciated.

Aleanne

Aleanne, just to let you know that if you post on Rollercoaster.ie (Single Parents Thread) you will also probably get very good advice - there are a few posters there who are extremely well up on the benefits available for single parents. I know there is one lady there who works a 3 days week exactly for the reasons that you talk about in your post.

Back