Living alone allowance query.

acequion

I have a question about this please. If an elderly lady, in receipt of widow's pension, over the eligible age, has a family member living in a granny flat on her property does this affect her entitlement to a living alone allowance? Both the elderly person in the main house and family member in the granny flat extension live separately and independently of each other. Citizen's information states that the elderly person can live in a granny flat in a family member's house and receive the allowance, but is it the same in the reverse situation as described in the above scenario? Thanks for replies.

Two options:-

1. Make the decision yourself: Download the application form, read it (it's very short) and, if you - or the applicant - can complete it without feeling that you are being deceitful then do so and send it off.

2. Let DSP make the decision: Complete the form and enclose a brief note, signed and dated and including PPSN which outlines the situation that you have stated above.

@Marsupial, thank you for your reply but I'm not looking for advice per se.

I would like to know if an elderly person who allows a family member to live independently in a granny flat in his/ her property has the same entitlement to the living alone allowance as an elderly person living in a granny flat in a family member's property. In both cases the elderly person is living alone, which is the criteria, not who owns the property. Therefore logically, if the allowance is granted in one case, it should be in the other imo. But I'm posting the question here to see if anybody knows the correct answer. Or are such things decided on a case by case basis? Thanks.

Ultimately your best bet is to apply with all the facts & let SW tell you one way or the other.

@Marsupial, thank you for your reply but I'm not looking for advice per se.

I would like to know if an elderly person who allows a family member to live independently in a granny flat in his/ her property has the same entitlement to the living alone allowance as an elderly person living in a granny flat in a family member's property. In both cases the elderly person is living alone, which is the criteria, not who owns the property. Therefore logically, if the allowance is granted in one case, it should be in the other imo. But I'm posting the question here to see if anybody knows the correct answer. Or are such things decided on a case by case basis? Thanks.

Not being a deciding officer in the Department of Social Protection, I wouldn't dream of trying to second guess his/her decision. That's why I suggested that you consult the horse's mouth (option 2) rather than asking a herd of donkeys!

Last edited:
Back