Limerick...what a team.

joer

Limerick deserved their four -in-a-row with an exhibition of hurling yesterday. The first half was close and Kilkenny were very good but there was no answer when Limerick got going in the second half.
Fantastic team and management.

It was some game to watch ( as a neutral ) - a bit ferocious at times (some of the tackling would have earned penalties in a game of international rugby! :D ) ), but the dedication and skill level were astounding. Limerick peaked at the correct time - thinking back to the Munster championship where they were a point winner in a number of games, then to the semi and final where they powered home in the last quarter... Well-deserved yesterday !

I have to say, I would have loved another goal for Kilkenny in the last 10 or so minutes - just to see it as a close game all the way to the final whistle.

It was some game to watch ( as a neutral ) - a bit ferocious at times (some of the tackling would have earned penalties in a game of international rugby! :D ) ), but the dedication and skill level were astounding. Limerick peaked at the correct time - thinking back to the Munster championship where they were a point winner in a number of games, then to the semi and final where they powered home in the last quarter... Well-deserved yesterday !

I have to say, I would have loved another goal for Kilkenny in the last 10 or so minutes - just to see it as a close game all the way to the final whistle.
Just imagine some of those hits in soccer....the game would be abandoned after ten mins :rolleyes:. I am neutral too and it was some game .

Limerick we’re terrific. When you think back to the initial championship games Limerick beat Waterford by two points, beat Cork by one point, drew with Tipperary and if they had lost to Cork they would have been eliminated and not got a look at Croke Park in July. I’ve been listening to the Limerick players interviews and John Kiely’s comments over the past few years. They all say the same things about having good patches and having bad patches. I think it’s their patience and timing which has mainly brought them to such success. There are other factors also but what a group of players!

Munster is very strong, hurling wise. There is only a puck of a ball between them on most days. John Kiely has an unbeaten record in finals , thirteen now it was said on Sunday. That is some achievement. I wouldn't bet against them next year again ......if they get out of Munster that is .

Trying to Win by Losing:-

Last year I backed Kilkenny @ 10/1 (quarter final stage?) to win All Ireland - I cashed out on the morning of the final @ 3/1. Kilkenny beaten and I made a few bob. (Happy Ending)

Prior to Leinster Final this year I backed Kilkenny to win the All Ireland @ 17/2 - Again I cashed out on morning of All Ireland Final @ 4/1 (Happier Ending)

I backed Leeds Utd @ 7/1 to be relegated this year - Didn't cash out and made a few bob. (Happy Ending although I like Leeds)

Now if only my horses performed . . . . . Mostly Losses, I must say.

Last edited:
The writing was on the wall for Kilkenny when at half-time they only had a 3-point lead. The wind was an enormous factor in the game in both halves with Limerick's puck-outs, passes, etc going badly astray in the first half, but Kilkenny failed to capitalise on their advantage. The 2nd half was the complete opposite with Limerick using the wind and their superior fitness, strength, and size to dominate Kilkenny. At times there was a bit of the "boys and men" to the 2nd half. Any one of the 15 on the field seemed to have free rein to attempt to score from anywhere, which they did. Kilkenny weren't just beaten, they were destroyed. It'll be hard to come back from, but all credit to Limerick - a master class in the ancient sport.

The writing was on the wall for Kilkenny when at half-time they only had a 3-point lead. The wind was an enormous factor in the game in both halves with Limerick's puck-outs, passes, etc going badly astray in the first half, but Kilkenny failed to capitalise on their advantage. The 2nd half was the complete opposite with Limerick using the wind and their superior fitness, strength, and size to dominate Kilkenny. At times there was a bit of the "boys and men" to the 2nd half. Any one of the 15 on the field seemed to have free rein to attempt to score from anywhere, which they did. Kilkenny weren't just beaten, they were destroyed. It'll be hard to come back from, but all credit to Limerick - a master class in the ancient sport.
In fairness the fact that the Kilkenny players were running into what seemed like a brick wall in the first half has to have taking the sting out of the team. They were worn out by mid way through the second half and had no answer to the physical strength of that big strong Limerick team. That's why Limerick players had so much space to pop over points from all over the pitch in the last twenty minutes.

Just imagine some of those hits in soccer....the game would be abandoned after ten mins :rolleyes:. I am neutral too and it was some game .
Should football reintroduce the tackle from behind and casual use of studs up , over the ball tackles to curb the skills of players in an effort to bring misconceived “ manliness “ back to the game .
The filthiest games I ever saw were the FA Cup Final and replay between Chelsea and Leeds in 1970 which although great entertainment was more akin to a car crash than a sporting occasion.
I’m happier to watch the likes of City , Real and Barca display their talents without having eyes in the back their head .

I can't see there been as much excitement this weekend as there was last weekend.....regardless it been Dublin and Kerry...

I stand by what I said . No comparison whatsoever to hurling..
I much prefer Hurling as a game and as a spectacle but I found the Football more exciting as a game and refreshingly niggle free where both teams showed a great level of sportsmanship and respect. The off the ball stuff in both Hurling and Football is, for me, a major detraction from the game. I could well be wrong but there seemed to much less of it in both codes this year.

Last edited:
Back