LIDL: What are they like to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. Down by about 40%

But are you comparing like with like ? The same brand in both shops ? When lidl sell jeans for example they may be 40% - or 90% for all I care - cheaper than say Levis or Wrangler or similar quality brands, but you are not comparing like with like. In my experience the lidl own brands in general , and their "weekly special offers", are not the same quality as most of the brand name goods. However, thats just my opinion , and that of some family / friends. When lidl are sell something I know / can trust ( not their own brands ) , then I have no problem shopping there.

N.B. I use levis and wrangler as an example - the jeans I wear are not levis or wrangler or indeed a lidl brand - I based my buying decision purely on design / texture / fit / quality / colour etc and do not even know offhand what brand they are.

When lidl are sell something I know / can trust ( not their own brands ) , then I have no problem shopping there.

Have to say this sounds a bit narrow minded/parochial to me - to "know" these products you have to try them. Lidl/Aldi do not have the same "cheapo" image abroad that they seem to have in Ireland - they are regarded as equivalent to Tesco/Dunnes etc.

Not all Lidl products live up to my expectations sure, but I have been pleasantly surprised by many purchases I have made.

But are you comparing like with like ?
The NCA did - Lidl and Aldi own brands to Tesco, Dunnes etc. mid range. This is a fair comparison and the results were clear cut - Lidl and Aldi offer better value than the others by a large margin.
In my experience the lidl own brands in general , and their "weekly special offers", are not the same quality as most of the brand name goods.
See above.
N.B. I use levis and wrangler as an example - the jeans I wear are not levis or wrangler or indeed a lidl brand - I based my buying decision purely on design / texture / fit / quality / colour etc and do not even know offhand what brand they are.
I doubt that most people go to Lidl/Aldi most of the time for clothes!

Have to say this sounds a bit narrow minded/parochial to me - to "know" these products you have to try them. Lidl/Aldi do not have the same "cheapo" image abroad that they seem to have in Ireland - they are regarded as equivalent to Tesco/Dunnes etc.

Not all Lidl products live up to my expectations sure, but I have been pleasantly surprised by many purchases I have made.

Would second this. Some products are really dodgy, but some are lovely. Aldi Feta cheese is €1.99 when it is €4.20 in Superquinn. They taste the exact same.

I was making an orange cheesecake to bring to a dinner party and got all the bits and pieces in Lidl/Aldi where the last time I bought the stuff in local shop. Ingredients worked out at next to nothing and everybody loved the cake.

Suppose we are getting off the point of working for Lidl. Dont think I would fancy it myself. Does anyone else find the atmosphere in most Lidl or Aldi Shops resemble a morgue.

But are you comparing like with like ? The same brand in both shops ? When lidl sell jeans for example they may be 40% - or 90% for all I care - cheaper than say Levis or Wrangler or similar quality brands, but you are not comparing like with like. In my experience the lidl own brands in general , and their "weekly special offers", are not the same quality as most of the brand name goods. However, thats just my opinion , and that of some family / friends. When lidl are sell something I know / can trust ( not their own brands ) , then I have no problem shopping there.

We buy all cleaning products, toiletries, fruit and veg (which is better than Superquinn or Tesco and mostly sourced from Dublin, Kildare and Meath) and frozen meat from them. We only buy meat that is Bord Bia marked.
We buy very little process food anyway so the cost there is small.
The rest of our meat comes from our local butcher and things like fresh herbs, spices and oils (and other things that Lidl don’t stock) from a local shop.

Does anyone else find the atmosphere in most Lidl or Aldi Shops resemble a morgue.
No. But I look forward to Lidl or Aldi doing special offers on coffins, burial shrouds and funerary urns in a few decades time.

No. But I look forward to Lidl or Aldi doing special offers on coffins, burial shrouds and funerary urns in a few decades time.

I love the special offer booklets, they are hilarious, one week it is all about stuff for old folks, another week it was horses, another week pets, another week keep fit, fishing and so on.

Some of the topics were a bit bizarre and I would not doubt that coffins, etc may surface at some point.

I stay away from them too. Why some people would shop there is beyond me. Some of their food is ok, but thats all.

Rabbit

I suggest you temporarily swallow your pride or principles or what ever and try shopping there. Thet are muuuuuch cheaper for many products and in my experience the quality is generally very good. In the town I live in they seem to be the busiest of all the supermarkets.

If you have a problem with the way they treat staff then you won't have any trouble finding similar problems with how the other multiples treat their staff and suppliers etc.

Soon this approach wll leave you with no where to shop.

I'm not suggesting that having principles is a bad thing - just that you take another look

PS no connection to LIDL

I love the special offer booklets, they are hilarious, one week it is all about stuff for old folks, another week it was horses, another week pets, another week keep fit, fishing and so on.

Some of the topics were a bit bizarre and I would not doubt that coffins, etc may surface at some point.

Have to say this sounds a bit narrow minded/parochial to me - to "know" these products you have to try them.

Believe me, I have. And I have more often than not been disappointed. A zip - very lightweight and flimsy when you look at it - failed on a lidl item of clothing. A mop thing fell apart. etc etc

Interesting thread...on one page we have people comment on the poor experience of the working environment (hours worked etc) worked and on the other those commenting on how cheap they are compared to competitors........perhaps it is because one is directly related to the other

Last edited:
I have a relation working as a manager for Lidl. It's certainly not for someone looking for the easy life. While he's been there a lot of people have come and gone - mostly people who expected a hands-off management role - it's very different to being a manager in the other supermarkets and that comes as a shock to some. Working in the shops is very much hands on for all members of staff; including lifting and moving boxes of stock. Days are long but they are rigorous about not breaching their legal requirements on maximum working hours. Lidl are not the only employers that don't pay overtime or give time in lieu - I've never worked for anyone that gave either of these. All said it's not for you if you're afraid of hard work, but someone prepared to roll up their sleeves and get on with things can do well.

My Oh works for a large supermarket as management and certainly does not have a hand off job, far from it in fact, he already has accrued about 16wks hols which there is no time to take off.

Believe me, I have. And I have more often than not been disappointed. A zip - very lightweight and flimsy when you look at it - failed on a lidl item of clothing. A mop thing fell apart. etc etc

Try the food

Ok, but I have had similar experiences with e.g. Dunnes products. I don't think anyone is saying that Lidl products are the ultimate in quality/design etc - it's just that similar products from competitors are no better - but are usually much more expensive.

Edit: Oh and yes, as Purple says, try the food!

My Oh works for a large supermarket as management and certainly does not have a hand off job, far from it in fact, he already has accrued about 16wks hols which there is no time to take off.
Employees have a statutory entitlement to take their holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back