Licensees (non tenants) wont leave apartment and threaten main tenant.

Cashmere Solo

Hi Folks - have a situation where a tenant sublet 2 rooms in his rented property to people on a short term basis. Things have gone sour and the tenant is being threatened with his life. He has asked them to move but they have refused. I don't think that the RTB has juristraction in this instance as they are technically licensees and not tenants, is it possible to change the locks in this instance?

1. Call the Gardai.
2. Get legal advice.
3. As far as I know, the RTB have no power to interfere here, but points 1 & 2 apply regardless.

If the main tenant is sharing property under rent a room; they are guests and can be asked to leave at any time.

Call Gardai & report threats; pack their stuff up, change locks.

Thanks everyone for your comments - its good to get a second opinion! We have no confidence in the bureaucracy and long delays of the RTB Dispute system - so we're very glad we dont have to go down that route. The Domestic Abuse has been reported to the Gardai last week, and we are currently waiting on their response. Our next move is going down the legal route. Our situation has made us very concerned about elderly people and other vunurable citizens losing control of their properties, which they handed over to the government in good faith to help deal with the current refugee crisis. There is absolutely no efficient recourse when things go wrong and the legal bills accumulate quickly for the owners!

Last edited:
What legal route?

The lodgers are guests, they have no legal recourse to remain in the property.

Pack their stuff and change the locks and do it now; if they are making threats there's no way I'd be hanging around waiting for something to happen.

Have the local guard call round while you do this.

Back