Lexus CT200 or IS300h

cheapandgood

I am considering a Lexus CT200 of IS300h. Both of these cars are hybrids. The price of both are pretty close based on what I have seen on UK websites. Does anyone have any ideas the depreciation these cars suffer?
I drove both and they are great but I am unsure what the trade in will be in 3 years as both as relatively new models.

They are two very different cars in power spec size and price etc
Hybrid is only thing they have in common.

As per peno. To quote Top Gear the Lexus CT200(h) is "The smallest, cheapest Lexus you can buy. Ostensibly, it’s a rival for the Audi A3 and BMW 1-Series," as against the IS300h which is a class or two above its smaller sibling as "Lexus’s entry into that fierce bloodbath that almost defines whether a brand can succeed as premium: the compact sports saloon. For if you can make it against the 3-Series and C-Class and A4, you’ll get great visibility on the road,". So a 1.8 A3/ A2 or a 2.5 A4, both hybrids

I'd agree the CT and IS are significantly different.

The 2.5lt petrol IS300h is the business.

It's going to be hard to see where 2nd prices will go. Current 2nd hand prices are high and with the level of new car sales you would expect prices to drop in 3 years time.

Have you considered the lease option that seems to be the rage at the moment?

If you are worried about residuals stick to a diesel.

On saying that I do think the IS300 is one of the best looking cars around and you cannot really fault Lexus reliability.

Whatever you buy enjoy it and don't get too hung up on its future value, like all cars (classics and Ltd runs aside) whatever you buy will decrease but at least by getting a 3 year old someone else has taken the major blow for you!

If you are worried about residuals stick to a diesel.

Only if doing the mileage to justify it. Low mileage diesels can be a very expensive purchase if you end up getting one that didn't do regular longer journeys to complete the DPF regeneration cycle.

Also, there's a growing movement against diesels due to air pollution, resulting in many European cities breaching minimum air quality standards.

Leo I agree with your comments completely.

Unfortunately leasing companies who generally set the residual values for cars in Ireland (not officially) don't and continue to place higher percentage of initial cost residual values against diesels versus hybrids etc.

OP if it was my money (and leaving personal taste aside) I'd still consider a diesel but keep Leo's comments in mind.

I would have a slight concern about Hybrid depreciation

There seem to be a lot of Lexus Hybrid stepping up in years old for very small money.

Not an issue if you are keeping the car for only a few years but a niggle.

On the other hand if you could get a refurbished battery pack for reasonable money some of the old 400H cars would be nice.

Back