Leaving private sector choppy waters for Civil Service?

Have received call from PAS for final clearance stage (current employer reference) and once checked there is a vacancy for me in the Dept of Social Protection in Sligo, my local town. Assuming my current boss doesn't shaft me with the reference I have decided to make the change and keep my IT side work going for the time being anyway. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread ;)

Congrats SCurry, really hope it works out well for you. Sligo is such a nice part of the country too, been there loads and actually heading up next week to watch some of the West of Ireland golf.

...keep my IT side work going for the time being anyway. Thanks to all who contributed to the thread ;)

You might want to test the water with side work. As some places might not allow it. At least not officially. Of course they can't refuse what you don't ask. Can be a conflict of interest. Public/Private.

You might want to test the water with side work. As some places might not allow it. At least not officially. Of course they can't refuse what you don't ask. Can be a conflict of interest. Public/Private.

How could having a small IT business on the side be a conflict of interest with working in a social welfare office?!

People who work in Revenue can't do accounts / tax returns. People who work in planning departments can't do planning applications. These are all common sense. But there is no general prohibition on having other sources of income.

Most places I have worked public or private have a clause in the contract either of prohibition or requiring permission, to do other work. Permission might not be given, and/or it can cause conflict in the minds of some people, even where none exists. I should have phrased it differently. Other income is different to other jobs. If you are in IT, contracting, or freelancing in some other area, its normal to do lots of different jobs often concurrently. That mindset isn't always common in other sectors.

I simply meant be mindful.

Thanks folks. I spoke to a few people over the weekend who had a mix of opinions between say nothing and tell them it'll be grand. In my current job I told them as I'd rather have everything out in the open. There's obviously no conflict and even less so if I go to the CS (its just a few local small businesses and schools, PC maintenance and web design etc). Think I'll go with the open and honest route again as it's not worth the hassle for a few grand otherwise. I've been declaring it and paying income tax on it also so there's no clandestine about it.

Congrats SCurry, really hope it works out well for you. Sligo is such a nice part of the country too, been there loads and actually heading up next week to watch some of the West of Ireland golf.
Yes beautiful part of the world for sure, even more so these past few days with the weather!

Update: In the CS now a few weeks. Initial impressions are I have probably made a mistake so I'm struggling. Pretty unhappy. It's grand but dull. Thought it through as much as I could but just cannot get adjusted. Maybe it'll change, certainly hope so.

I'd certainly give it more time before deciding. It can often take time for others to recognise what you're capable of so that you can take on more challenging or engaging work. Talk to your manager.

Come on, you made a big decision, don't review it so quickly. Wait at least 6 months before asking yourself if it was the right decision.

I will be yes, no choice! Just finding the transition more difficult than I anticipated.

Stick with it. What particular issues are you finding difficult. Granted it's a totally different work environment and all that to survive

Think it's just been more different than I thought it would be. Granted I'm only in over a month. I'm going to give it enough time and not press panic but I have possibly spent too long in IT private sector to be adjusted. In the past few years I have given lots of thought to doing what I think I would really love which is teaching (late vocation in mid 30s granted but it's been on my mind for years now). I'm now in a place where I could possibly take a career break to pursue it via Hibernia. My head has been turned that way now and I might just go for it. Have to repeat hons Irish first but I could pull it off I think. If IT and the CS ain't for me then I might have to follow the dream. Love working with kids but I didn't realise it until I was into my working life. It's nagging me ever since. Sorry I'm just thinking out loud!

Back