Laya Laya forcing customers to join their online Upgraded Member Area but no discount on renewals.

IsleOfMan

I see that I can get a discount from Laya if I purchase a new policy online of 5%.

As an existing customer I do not get this 5% discount on my renewal.

I have received an email from them to say that they are moving all correspondence from snail mail to email. I now have to log in and register on their Upgraded Member Area to receive renewals etc.

As I am now being forced by them to renew online I feel that I should also be able to avail of the 5% discount, but this is not the case.

They have also said in an email to me that if I don't contact them to say that I am not renewing my policy they will automatically renew it. So even though they will automatically renew my policy they are still charging me a 5% premium over new members.

Hi - just a thought ...... would there be any material downside to cancelling your existing policy on the renewal date and then effecting a new policy online - thereby getting the discount? U will get a new customer number presumably - but there would be no break in cover so presumably no waiting period implications etc ...... ??

I wonder if you rang their customer service people and indicated an intention to proceed as suggested by 1dave123 would they give you the discount ?

I know this approach can work well with general insurers. However, health insurance seems to have loads of rules that might restrict them from doing this.

Side point - do LAYA still charge for payment by DD ?

I was with Laya's Flex 250 plan last year. The cover on private hospitals had an excess of €250 per stay. I see in this year's renewal it is now a €100 excess per night.

A semi-private room excess is still 250 per stay in a private hospital.
An excess of 100 per night plus 250 relates to a private room in a private room.
So no change overall, same as before.

Snowyb

Thanks snowyb for the clarification. The documentation that I received this year is different in layout and terminology.

Would you recommend the Laya Flex 375 plan? Anything different here other than the excess, as compared to the 250 plan?

Yes, the Laya Flex 375 plan is recommended. The complete Flex range of plans have the same hospital cover, the only difference
between them is the excess and price. Once you're happy with the excess amount, they're well worth considering.
All three levels of hospital cover included - public, private and hi-tech.

Snowyb

Thanks Snowyb, I am going to consider the 375.
Username123. They got a roasting about this on their Facebook page. No harm in keeping up the pressure. I emailed them and they stated that they would flag my renewals as paper rather than email. Having said that they then sent me a quotation by email and also one by post?

Back