Laurel Hedging

LByrne

I was wondering if someone would have any insight.

I am planning on putting laurel hedging around my house.. The area is approx. 200 Meters. How many hedges would I need and anyone got an idea of the price that this would cost?

Thanks in advance

So the recommending planting distance is about one plant every two feet. So that would be 330 plants! You could plant at 3 feet but the hedge would take longer to knit together but it could save you abit of money.

I had a similar sized area to plant three years ago. I bought 150 potted plants at 3.50 each and then last year took cuttings to make another 100 plants for free and I have planted those this winter. I will take more cutting and finish the hedge in two years. The only problem with this is that the hedge will be at different heights until the new plants eventually catch up.

I have seen bare rooted hedges for sale from anything from 1.50 to 4 euro depending on height and potted plants would be a little dearer. I got mine at a very reasonable price from a nursery in Kerry

Thank you for your response.. I gathered that I would need quite a lot... What is the difference between potted plants and non? Also I am looking for a hedge that would eventually give 4 Meters in height.. what size laurel hedge would I need to plant?

TIA

Laurel can grow very high and I mean, very high pretty fast. Each year keep them well cut back and that will get density into the lower part. After a few years cut them back and tidy the front and back at least once a year.

I am confused as there are so many heights of plants to go for I don't know which one? Any one any suggestions?

Bare rooted will only thrive immediately if planted in winter. Also usually only available in winter, you might get them still but it is a little late. Potted should be fine anytime. Potted are more expensive.

If cost is an issue and you know someone with a laurel hedge, offer to cut it for them. Plant the cuttings very close together and thin them next year.

Any laurel hedge will in time grow to 4 meters if you let it.

I am confused as there are so many heights of plants to go for I don't know which one? Any one any suggestions?

Only difference is cost and time to reach a certain height. A taller plant will reach say 1m faster than a shorter. In the medium term it makes no difference, they will all grow.

Some gardeners say that a shorter plant beds down better. the ratio of root to limb is better.

Last edited:
That's a tall hedge! Mine are currently half that. My plants were three to four feet starting off. I think this would be a good size to start with but the smaller sizes(2 feet) will grow fine but will obviously take longer to reach their desired height.

Off the top of my head, bareroot is just the plant and roots, no soil, cheaper as they are cheaper to transport and less work for the supplier, they are usually only available between October and March and they are planted in the same period. They usually have a slightly lower success rate as the roots can dry out etc.

Potted plants come in pots. They can planted all year round and the success rate is higher as the soil helps to stop the roots drying out during transport, storage and the time taken between you buying and planting them. but they are more expensive.

Laurel can be bought from 1euro for small plants up to 20euro for 5ftx2ft wide plants. Take a look on Done Deal and all sizes are available.
As a rough guide any month between October and March you can plant bare root plants which are much cheaper than potted plants.
Laurel is a very fast growing hedge once established and will grow in excess of 2ft per year. Take a look at Portuguese Laurel or Griselina both Laurels that make a lovely hedge but do not grow at the same rate.

How do you take these cuttings?
At what part of the plant?
Then what?
In a pot until they grow bigger?

Just cut an existing hedge. Any cutting with a bit of stem and leaf will do. Just bung it in the ground.

Many will die, thats why you plant them close together, but most will grow.

You could buy some growth promoter, its in a white powder and dip the cut into it,

You could pot them, the compost will provide better room for the roots to grow.

These things will undoubtedly give a better % of successful plants. But they are both work and cost. Kind of defeats the purpose of planting cuttings.

Now, or over the next month or two, is the time for it. Worst of the weather over and all the growing season ahead to get them started. I have done this myself in the past. It certainly takes a bit longer for the hedge to set, in 12 months time you will think they are not thriving, but by Sept 12 months you should be looking good.

I will try to post a photo later showing where this has been done near me recently.

Laurel can be bought from 1euro for small plants up to 20euro for 5ftx2ft wide plants. Take a look on Done Deal and all sizes are available.
As a rough guide any month between October and March you can plant bare root plants which are much cheaper than potted plants.
Laurel is a very fast growing hedge once established and will grow in excess of 2ft per year. Take a look at Portuguese Laurel or Griselina both Laurels that make a lovely hedge but do not grow at the same rate.
I never thought that griselina was part of the laurel family,you learn something new every day

Major i think your right around Grisellina. I think it originally originated in New Zealand.

You're absolutely right on how fast a common laurel hedge can grow, it can get out of hand if it's not cut regularly. I planted a 50 metre Portuguese Laurel hedge 3 years ago. It's a neater plant with smaller leaves and lovely red stems. At the time, late Feb/early March, I bought bare rooted plants, just under 2 foot high, planted them 1.5 ft apart. I dug a trench rather than individual holes for each plant, backfilled it with a mixture of compost, top soil and chicken manure. I had the trench dug before the plants were brought home as the roots can dry out in no time if not planted fairly quickly. 3 years on, I have a dense, healthy 4.5ft hedge that only needs cutting once a year.

IMG_4001.jpg
IMG_3999.jpg
Here are some pics of a laurel hedge planted from clippings. You can see the size from the blocks

would I be best going potted or bare rotted, I see that someone here had success with bareroot but I was just wondering what is its success rate.. Just that the potted one appears to be quite expensive getting quotes as high as 3.50 a plant and I need 350 of them

would I be best going potted or bare rotted, I see that someone here had success with bareroot but I was just wondering what is its success rate.. Just that the potted one appears to be quite expensive getting quotes as high as 3.50 a plant and I need 350 of them

It all depends on when you intend planting the hedge. You will be too late for bare rooted plants by the end of March. They need to be in the ground before then. You also need to have all preparations done and be ready to put them in the ground quite quickly after buying them otherwise the roots will dry out and the plant is doomed to fail.
Bare rooted is the way to go as they're cheaper but planting immediately and at the right time of year is crucial.

Some years ago at the start of my mid life crisis I decided it was time to dig up the miles of hedging around the house, front and back. We got walls built instead. One of my best decisions ever made, just paint the wall every two years with a wide roller and now no more cutting, gathering, dumping hedge cuttings.

If you have to beg a credit union for the money, do it. Life becomes unbelievably easier with not looking forward to cutting the hedge even once a year.

Life becomes unbelievably easier with not looking forward to cutting the hedge
I can see your point of view, but these hedges provide a huge benefit for our wildlife. Personally, I'd prefer to cut a hedge rather than paint a wall - but that's just me :) As I'm getting older, it's a good way to keep the exercise regime going !

Thanks everyone for their comments..

I can hold off planting the bare root.. But I have just heard that the success rate with the hedge is quite low.. If I do plan to go for bareroot I will have trench etc dug and ready to go..

What is the best month to plant I understand that it is between oct-mar but wondering what would be the optimum time.

Thanks again

Back