Latest Aer Lingus Sale......they are having a laugh.

Laramie

Last week I was tracking particular flights to Lisbon and Malaga for November.

The cheapest flight for Lisbon was €34 and the cheapest flight for Malaga was €48.

Today Aer Lingus announced a 30% off sale.

In this sale the Lisbon flights have INCREASED to €38 and the Malaga flights have increased to €51.

They are having a laugh.

Its still incredible value though.

Irish rail charge €65.65 for an adult single from Cork to Dublin.

Absolutely great value , travelling to Malaga in early October with Aer Lingus -return fare €101.98

The point is that they have increased their prices as they announce a 30% off sale rather than reduce them as per their announcement.

I was expecting the €34 flight price to be reduced not increased.

Most companies do this.

Check out Argos for example and their toys/games. See the price before the 3 for 2 sale, and then the price during the sale!

Most companies do this.

Check out Argos for example and their toys/games. See the price before the 3 for 2 sale, and then the price during the sale!

In Argos' defence, they are the only company I know of that openly declares previous lower selling prices on all their goods.

Well there could be a reasonable explanation such as maybe 10 or 20 people booked seats between the last time you checked the seat prices and the sale actually starting.

They actually had a choice of days available at the lower price of €34, same for Malaga at €48. I had checked them on the Monday, I do a daily check on a selection of destinations. They announced their sale on Tuesday at the higher prices.

They had lots of availability at the lower price for my preferred dates right up to December. What I am saying is that the base price of €34 shifted to a base price of €38 on commencement of the sale with no reduction on the new €38 price.

They had lots of availability at the lower price for my preferred dates right up to December. What I am saying is that the base price of €34 shifted to a base price of €38 on commencement of the sale with no reduction on the new €38 price.

How do you tell how many seats remain at the lower price? Are you starting the booking process and selecting 10 or more seats? I've been hit a few times booking two seats and ending up paying a higher price for the second having gotten the last seat at the lower price.

There was availability on several different days over a few weeks at the lower price. I was flexible in my dates. Normally Aer Lingus will say something like "only 5 seats remaining" when you scroll over your preferred date. It is possible that there was a surge in bulk purchases but I doubt it.

Unless you're sitting there clicking refresh, you can't possibly know.

I could check a flight price now and in 15 minutes time it may have changed because someone's booked 2/4/6 seats.

Last week I was tracking particular flights to Lisbon and Malaga for November.

The cheapest flight for Lisbon was €34 and the cheapest flight for Malaga was €48.

Today Aer Lingus announced a 30% off sale.

In this sale the Lisbon flights have INCREASED to €38 and the Malaga flights have increased to €51.

They are having a laugh.

Aer Lingus are charging €38 for a flight to Lisbon and you think they are joking?

If you find it so funny, why not fly with one of the other airlines?

Brendan

Yes. I suppose I could fly with Ryanair. Their prices are €24. It is not the price I am complaining about, it is the way Aer Lingus are tricking people in to believing that their Sale is something special when in fact the prices before their sale were cheaper.

Laramie. Just to add further to your comment. Aer Lingus have now announced a new special offer "bargain break winter sale" within their existing sale and you will be pleased to note that the Lisbon minimum fare available has gone from €38 to €39. A further increase on top of last weeks sale.

Why is everybody picking holes in what Laramie is saying?
I agree wholeheartedly with his observation.
Whether or not the new price offers "incredible" value for money, as was pointed out, is
not the issue, what is, is that the sale price is now dearer than the pre-sale price.
This is not in keeping with the general conception or indeed the spirit of "sales" .
Just another method employed by retailers to try to hoodwink the customer.
Shame on AL.

Back