Large Sliding Doors for Rear Extension

OnLooker

Hi,

I'm currently planning for an extension which we hope to commence later this year. The planning application was submitted earlier this month. I'm trying to get ahead of the game and sort out all the large spend items like flooring, kitchen and windows/doors.

The rear extension has two large openings. One is 3.9m by 2.2m and the other is 2.9m by 2.2m. I'm looking into sliding doors. Does anyone have any recommendations regarding suppliers/costings etc... Fairco & Rationel have already been recommended by several people.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like most people went international companies in their search. Did anyone use any Irish companies?

Sounds like most people went international companies in their search. Did anyone use any Irish companies?
I did contact Irish companies, but they all said that they could not provide windows that big. One actually referred me to Sorpetaler.

Last edited by a moderator:
Before making a purchase make sure you check the security of sliding doors.
Maybe things have changed but a few years ago houses with sliding doors were targeted by burglars because they were so easy to break into via sliding doors.
I think that it's very easy to lift the door up of the lower rail, or something like that.
(A friend worked in insurance, it was a number one break-in point).

Sounds like bi-fold doors might be the way to go. A few companies make them (not posting any links because I'm not endorsing anyone :))
They are expensive, but look gorge.

We have large sliding doors which were supplied by Senator. The opening is approx 3.2 metres wide so it would be fine for one of your openings. I'm not sure if they provide windows large enough for the larger opening. I would definitely favour these over bi-fold doors as essentially they provide a large window to the garden with minimal obstructions to the view. Bi-fold doors imho would completely obstruct your view. Just on the security aspect, I don't think that's an issue these days as our doors only have a handle to open on the inside so they cannot be opened from the outside. Obviously if the doors are your only access into the house from the back that might not be an option but for us that wasn't an issue.

Just make sure any you are looking at have multi-point locking, that'll eliminate the majority of security issues with such doors.

The sliding door I have can't be opened from the outside either.
You can't lift them out of the lower rail either when closed (even when open it would be tough going given the weight).

Back