Other Laptop cover plan.

VioletWex

Hi. I bought a laptop at currys 2 years ago. Man at the counter convinced me to buy an insurance from damage for 3 years(he told me that anything at all that would happen to the laptop would be covered by the cover plan i've paid for). Now after 2 years my daughter pushed the laptop of the table out the window:( and I live on the second floor...
I rang the man from the cover plan to inform about the damage, they took the laptop away. 4 weeks later i got my laptop back unrepaired with a note '[FONT=&quot]During the inspection carried out by our technician we have found what we consider to be damage which is not covered by your Extended Service Agreement.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[FONT=&quot]In circumstances such as this we refer the issue to the Extended Service Agreement Claims Investigation Department.[/FONT][/FONT]'

so I've sent a letter with description in details of what happened with the laptop to the address they gave me...4 weeks later I rang the man again asking him why i didn't hear anything from them yet and he gave me another address to a person who is dealing with all these claims. I've sent another letter and now after another 4 weeks still didn't hear anything from them.

I'm close to give up now because i don't know what else i can do about it...does anyone have any ideas?

Don't give up... Back to same Currys store again, talk to a manager / supervisor... explain the situation calmly.

Also, put the issue & what you've done so far into writing (formal letter) & hand it to the guy, ask his name & write it down (in front of him, noting the date / time). In the letter, state that you want to hear from them within 10 working days. Include photo copy of your receipt and a copy of the insurance policy you bought at the time).

Don't give up - once accidental damage was included in your policy, then you should be covered (unless there is a clause that excludes this type of damage... not all "accidents" are the same according to some of these policies).

Good luck with it...

well there's this->
'the following items not included:
-
-
-the cost of repairing or replacing a product which fails because anyone neglects, abuses or misuses the product'

What sort of accidental damage clause is included in the policy document (verbatim wording if possible)?

There isn't any accidental damage clause. There is only what's below.
Replacement product
If your product can’t be repaired or it takes longer than 28 days to repair you may request vouchers for a product of an equivalent specification.
- Usually the replacement will be a new product or in the form of vouchers to purchase a product of an equivalent specification. Occasionally a reconditioned product may be be supplied
-- If your product is replaced your Coverplan ends and you will receive vouchers for the remaining value to use when you next buy Coverplan.
Information you need to know
The following items are not included:
-Regularly replaced items/consumable items
-Built-in batteries
-Lamps used in projection TVs and projectors
-Cosmetic damage where it does not affect the operation or safety to the product
-Repair costs that have not been approved
-Damage or breakdown due to flood, wind or other severe weather conditions
-The cost of repairing or replacing a product which fails because anyone neglects, abuses or misuses the product
-Any service or benefit where the Insurance Plan has been suspended
-Inoperability of a product caused by withdrawal of services by a third party cleaners, cooking and laundry products if used for business
-Screen burn on plasma, LCD or rear projection screens
-Any loss suffered because you cannot use your product or any loss other than repair or replacement
-You and we will not be responsible for any failure to carry out the obligations under this Insurance Plan if it is be caused by any circumstances outside your or our reasonable control
-You must take all precautions to protect your product from damage or breakdown caused by viruses
- Where appropriate fully guaranted reconditioned parts may be used
This Insurance Plan provides benefits, which are in addition to your legal rights. For further information about your legal rights contact local Trading Standards Dept. or Citizens Advice Bureau.

Sounds to me like you are not covered for the accidental damage due to the laptop being shoved out the window so - I'd imagine that falls under the heading of neglect/abuse/misuse. If you were told otherwise at the outset then you may have been misled and missold the policy.

Do you know what's wrong with the laptop since the fall? Hard disk buggered? Screen broken? Other damage? It's possible that the unit can be repaired but difficult to say at this remove.

If your daughter accidentally knocked the computer from a table and it fell out of a window, then this is accidental damage. Can I assume that your daughter is a toddler and inadvertantly pushed this laptop out of the window, rather than being a teenager who threw it out the window in a fit of pique? If it is the latter, then it would not be accidental, it would be a deliberate act. However, if it is the former, or anything purely accidental then certainly, any interpretation that it was neglect, abuse or misuse, would be completely wrong. If the computer was left in the rain for a few days...that would be neglect. If someone banged it against the table in order to get it to start more quickly......that would be abuse. If it was being used as a doorstop and it got damaged...that would be misuse. It would not seem to me that any of these scenarios or anything approaching them is what happened. Therefore, the application of these exclusions is not appropriate. I would seem to me that they are misinterpretating the policy with a view to declining your claim. Whether this is due to their incompetence or due to sharp practice, it is impossible to know. What I would suggest is that you appeal their findings and if they refuse to deal with the claim, then make a formal complaint to the Financial Services ombudsman. This will take a few months to process, but I would hope that they will find in your favour. Dont let it slide....I suspect that is exactly what they want you to do.

Clubman it's hard to say,because I'm not a informatician.
But it still turns on.The screen is damaged and nothing happends but it still works, somehow.
They didn't write exactly why they can't fix my laptop.
They just wrote what I wrote above.

Claimsman yes my daughter is toddler.
She is 20 months an she didn't do it in purpose of course.
It wasn't my fault that it was raining that day.I took the laptop from the ground as soon as I could.
Maybe I should explain them that situation differently, but they will think what they want to think,as usual.
I'm waiting for any answer nearly 3 months,so that's why I don't know what to do.
Last time when I rang to the Curry's shop in Limerick,they just said that I should wrote a letter again,and send to England,again.
The worse thing is that the [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Extended Service Agreement Claims Investigation Department is in England,otherwise I could go there and tell them what I think about it.[/FONT][/FONT]

Clubman it's hard to say,because I'm not a informatician.
But it still turns on.The screen is damaged and nothing happends but it still works, somehow.
They didn't write exactly why they can't fix my laptop.
They just wrote what I wrote above.

Claimsman yes my daughter is toddler.
She is 20 months an she didn't do it in purpose of course.
It wasn't my fault that it was raining that day.I took the laptop from the ground as soon as I could.
Maybe I should explain them that situation differently, but they will think what they want to think,as usual.
I'm waiting for any answer nearly 3 months,so that's why I don't know what to do.
Last time when I rang to the Curry's shop in Limerick,they just said that I should wrote a letter again,and send to England,again.
The worse thing is that the [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot] Extended Service Agreement Claims Investigation Department is in England,otherwise I could go there and tell them what I think about it.[/FONT][/FONT]

Do try explaining the position differently. If you have no success, make a complaint to the financial services ombudsman.

[broken link removed]

hey VioletWex
they did the same to me a month ago, can you please confirm what happened ? did they repaired your laptop ????

We also bought a laptop at Currys and the cover. Daughter abused it, spilled coffee on it and finally dropped it on a tiled floor. Rang the insurance co and they picked up up and, to her disappointment, repaired it and returned it within 2 weeks. It's not going well. She says it's junk anyway. It is a Toshiba Satellite, cheapest one we could get cos she does not look after them. I don't think she will bother sending it back again.

Back