Landlord wont supply his pps no. to claim tax back

Many tenants are scared to claim their rent relief as they fear it will result in notice to quit (which it does in many cases). If they are happy with their conditions, location etc. they will forfeit their claim rather than risk having to move. As many of our tenants are from other countries with little knowledge of language they can be easily fobbed off with excuses.

While I could never condone tax evasion each person has to make up their own mind on the affects to themselves of whistle-blowing

Without opening a can of worms, I suspect you didnt register with the PTRB? Or your landlord isnt registered. A tennancy shouldnt be about being in a better negotiating position, it should be black and white. You sound nervous to upset your landlord. You're paying him rent every month so dont sell yourself short. The landlord is legally obliged to register your tenancy. This protects both of you. The only way to reduce the amount of cowboy landlords is if everybody tries to take only PTRB registered places....Re that tax, just take the cheque and forget it.....tax relief is rubbish anyway.

As many of our tenants are from other countries with little knowledge of language they can be easily fobbed off with excuses.
I have 'foreign' tenant's and I'd say they know the rules better then the natives. Very silly landlord not to be registered with the PRTB, which means the interest on the mortgage will not be allowable, (maybe there's no mortgage) and you don't need the pps number to claim tax relief.

As a tax compliant landlord I would encourage the OP to contact the revenue with the address of the property and any evidence that they have been paying rent to this individual.
How can tax compliant LL's compete against other non compliant LL's that can discount rent on the basis that the discount is the taxmans money anyway?

Back