Landlord kept all bills now wants money

BB4444

I rented a room for 18 months where we had gas and electricity. I never had access to gas as my radiator was broken the entire time and everything else was electric.

Myself and my housemates constantly asked for the electric bills as they were in our landlords name and we knew they were adding up. Only after I left the tenancy the landlord told me I owed money to them but they weren’t sure how much (November ‘23) and now in January’24 they’re telling me again I owe an unknown amount. The most odd thing is that the bill is addressed to their business below the flat and I’ve found out that there was an outstanding bill before I even moved in. Do I have to pay up? Are they right to keep my deposit? I’ve asked for the bills while living there and after but have only got replies saying “I’ll work it out but you owe me”.

I'm not sure I understand your concern if you no longer live there?

Oh, sorry I re-read your message & I see that you didnt get your deposit back.

Were you sharing the property with the owner?

Did you get a lease in writing, if so what did it say about utilities?

This might be a good case to bring to the RTB who have a low tolerance of landlords keeping deposits even in cases many would feel it justified.

Its not clear if the OP was house sharing with property owner; if they were RTB is no good to them.

Back