Landlord doesn't want me to take a lodger...

Vincentgav......Your attitude suggests to me that you're going to do what you're going to do regardless of any advice you've been given here.

Not to be rude earlier, apologies if I was. But you might be right there, I just may do whatever.

The rent review was put up 2 months ago. There was another tenant in place in the other room, this decision not to be ok with another tenant is a recent whim. Besides, the landlord reckons he can get more if he rents it out fresh. If he wants the crazy figure he thinks he can get he'll have to rent it as a 2 bed. Another tenant will just get someone in there anyway and let out the room.

I'm in discussions trying to get him to agree, he's thinking about it.

If you take a lease on a property and then let (a portion of) that property to a third party - that's a sub-let. You don't have to move out of a property to create a sub-lease.

If you do this without the consent of your landlord, you will be in breach of your contract and your "lodger" will be trespassing.

Do your work in property/lettings? Sorry my man, but you're not right. People think that they know. Trespassing is nonsense, it's MY home for the duration of the lease. Just as a landlord CANNOT tell me that I can't have guests over in the house - he's not entitled to do that.

Ah OP, are you having a laugh? The advice you are getting is very clear. This is not about "guests" or having friends over etc, its about a permanent "lodger" living in the property.

To make it simple for you, you wouldn't accept your landlord showing up and saying "hey, I am putting another people into the house to live with you", so likewise, you cant just rent out a room in the house to someone else. There is a lease in place which you signed. Don't be playing silly.

Do your work in property/lettings? Sorry my man, but you're not right. People think that they know. Trespassing is nonsense, it's MY home for the duration of the lease. Just as a landlord CANNOT tell me that I can't have guests over in the house - he's not entitled to do that.

Well, why did you ask the question if you are so sure you know the answer?

Here's an example of a covenant in a standard, pre-printed agreement for the letting of a private house:-

"To use the Premises, as a private residence only, for his own use. Not to assign, sublet or part with or share the possession of the Premises or any part thereof, and not to take lodgers or paying guests and not to use or permit the Premises to be used for any activity ... without first obtaining the consent in writing of the Landlord".

The wording of your particular letting agreement may be slightly different but I have never seen a letting agreement for a private house that does not restrict the use of the dwelling to the named tenant. In any event, the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 imposes a similar obligation on tenants not to assign or sub-let a tenancy without the written consent of the landlord (which consent the landlord may, in his or her discretion, withhold).

Again, you cannot lawfully take a lodger without the consent of your landlord.

To be honest, I think your landlord was nuts to renew your tenancy if you were previously in breach of a covenant and your attitude to other posters here speaks volumes.

hi there,

Basically, we're in a 2 bed house, the rent has been jacked up really high, €500per month extra.

The issue is the landlord: he won't allow us to accept a lodger and rent out the second bedroom. We want to rent out that room, we're a couple in a 2 bed, apparently the landlord isn't keen on it due to wear and tear.

We think it's perfectly reasonable, given the price of rent to let the room out - it's unused otherwise!

What are our rights? If we have a lease in place, I feel it's our property and that the landlord has no right to dictate that.

Can we just let the room out anyway?

Thanks

Not to be rude earlier, apologies if I was. But you might be right there, I just may do whatever.

The rent review was put up 2 months ago. There was another tenant in place in the other room, this decision not to be ok with another tenant is a recent whim. Besides, the landlord reckons he can get more if he rents it out fresh. If he wants the crazy figure he thinks he can get he'll have to rent it as a 2 bed. Another tenant will just get someone in there anyway and let out the room.

I'm in discussions trying to get him to agree, he's thinking about it.

He wants you out, period.

He wants you out, period.

I've actually gotten him to come around, I'm letting the room on a license basis. So I'm responsible for the whole place now.

So we're staying on.

It seems he was just trying to let the place to us and not have anyone else there, have his cake and eat it too. I told him that it was too much for us without the other room let out and that if he wanted this rent or more, he'd have to let it as a 2 bed anyway.

I would like to think that as a landlord I would be a good enough judge of character to never let my property to someone like vincentgav in the first place. You can usually tell within a few seconds whether a tenant is suitable or not. (16 years experience now).

Back