Land registry still shows charge despite mortgage cleared and deeds returned

newirishman

We paid off the mortgage about 10 months ago, and PTSB returned the deeds eventually around September last year.
Was checking the land registry earlier today (€5 well spent), and the charge from UlsterBank and subsequent change to PTSB is still not cancelled.

Before I go and complain to PTSB (given they have returned the deeds), I am curious how long the land registry usually takes to update the folio?
My clearly naive assumption is the computers do this given it is called e-discharge, and it shouldn't take too long.

Not planning to sell in the near future but I'd like to have the paperwork in order just in case.

Is there a way to find out if PTSB has notified Tailte Éireann, or where the delay could be?

Well, I will do so then! Did not even cross my mind to call them to be honest.

They may well tell you that as you have a solicitor dealing with the matter that they cannot speak to you directly but sure its worth a try and nothing to lose. I did not use a solicitor for our enquiry and found them to be very polite and helpful.

Thanks Sue Ellen. Not using a solicitor (yet) - my solicitor told me back when we cleared the mortgage that there is not need for him to get involved, as the bank should return the deeds and do the e-discharge on the land registry (we are not selling the property).
He said he is happy to take some money off me but really there shouldn't be a need. Maybe there is now though.

Called Táilte Éireann and they were indeed incredible helpful. Can only echo Sue Ellen’s sentiment!
Seemingly the e-discharge process failed (likely clerical error), but PTSB did ignore this, with no second try or follow-up.
So indeed a letter to PTSB now to get this sorted, or alternatively some forms (and fees) to request it myself. Great way to spend my time.

alternatively some forms (and fees) to request it myself.

Considering my pleasant experience with Táilte Eireann I would recommend going this route of dealing with it yourself. If, as in our case, you do make an error they will immediately let you know directly and help you as much as they can to resolve it. In light of your initial experience with going through PTSB, this route sounds quicker :)

We had same issue with BOI. We used a solicitor. He requested BoI to file an eDischarge in the Land Registry to get the mortgage discharge . And our property folio are updated.

Ended up sending a letter to PTSB on the matter and asked them to do the discharge (again).
After not hearing from them for three weeks, I called them and they confirmed they re-did the edischarge and that they also sent me a letter confirming the same over a week ago.
Looking forward to receiving that letter (eventually), but was at least able to confirm (after spending another 5 euro) that the charge was cancelled, finally.
Roughly a year after I paid off the mortgage

We paid off the mortgage about 10 months ago, and PTSB returned the deeds eventually around September last year.
Was checking the land registry earlier today (€5 well spent), and the charge from UlsterBank and subsequent change to PTSB is still not cancelled.

Before I go and complain to PTSB (given they have returned the deeds), I am curious how long the land registry usually takes to update the folio?
My clearly naive assumption is the computers do this given it is called e-discharge, and it shouldn't take too long.

Not planning to sell in the near future but I'd like to have the paperwork in order just in case.

Is there a way to find out if PTSB has notified Tailte Éireann, or where the delay could be?
Hi there, can you tell me where the link is for payment of €5 to check the land registry - I can see you can order folio map but its €28- thanks

You go to

Select the property, and go to "add to basket"

This will get you a pop-up to select the type of folio.

This isn't a map just the details of the register.

Hi there, can you tell me where the link is for payment of €5 to check the land registry - I can see you can order folio map but its €28- thanks
Their fees are listed in the FAQ - can't link directly so here's a screenshot.

Just to add a datapoint , i paid the €35 last month to get my deeds back and PTSB updated the land registry 2 days later.

Back