Labor Law : Forcing employees to hybrid model

hakouna

What are my options ( from labor law perspective) if my employers asked me to come to the office on hybrid model ( 3 days a week) while my contract is fully remote ?

TIA

If your contract states that your place of work is your home or remote etc (the specific wording of your contract is important here) then it forms part of your terms and conditions of employment and those can only be changed with your agreement.

Has it been pointed out to them what your contract says? It is likely that this is not their standard employment contract, so may not have that on their radar. Pre-covid, it would have been fairly unlikely to have that stated in a contract.

Do you want to stay fully remote, go hybrid with more pay, or some kind of pay-off to leave? What you want should determine your strategy.

Otherwise it might be worth posting the wording of the contract as employers often leave themselves wiggle room.

Are you 100% sure it applies to you? Most employers have specific remote contracts that they use sparingly to get scare skills and that are not usually open to all...generally cover expenses for office visits etc. Those people are generally exempt from a general return to office plan.

Are you 100% sure it applies to you? Most employers have specific remote contracts that they use sparingly to get scare skills and that are not usually open to all...generally cover expenses for office visits etc. Those people are generally exempt from a general return to office plan.
Is paying expenses from home to office legal?

And also I would urge you to speak to your manager on this. While there is a general RTO vibe around now, most companies are flexible to a degree in particular circumstances eg someone who lives a very long distance away now v pre covid, they can come to arrangements outside of the blanket ones that they implement. As long as the place looks busy I doubt many employers are counting heads!

It is essentially out of pocket business travel for 100% remote workers. I have seen policies on this in my workplace, everyone wants one of those contracts, we have lots of people who live beyond commuting distance since COVID and they often overnight for office attendance doing two or three days in a row. But for the majority, the contract has the office as the normal place of work so they can't reclaim, only those on the 100% remote contract can.

Absolutely it's legal. But it is also taxable. Any failure to treat it as such is highly illegal.
If the employee's normal place of work is their home then can they be paid mileage as a non taxable expense for driving to their employers office?

Back