Key Post: Razor blades - shaving.

Re: X

I'm able to buy them online off a friend of mine in Budapest.

Blades

Maybe I am just mad.
Anyway, the story goes like this.
One of those discovery channel programmes was on. It was one where they bring on ideas from the public, they show it to expert, while another guy checks out whether there is a patent already out there for the idea.
I was not paying attention to this programme. The only part that has stuck in my head from that day was that, his study showed that the blades did not go blunt, it was the build up of 'dirt' on the blades that made inefficient. What ever his idea was they kicked it to touch.

The only solution I can think of if to put the Mach 3 blades in to a sonic Jewlery cleaner and see how it gets on.

Gillette Razors

Hi Havana,

Is that Thomas street on the southside ...???
Are the stall there on weekdays...???

Many thanks,

TM.

Re: Gillette Razors

"I wonder why blades are the most thieved item in Europe ...........mmmmm......interesting"
Presumably a significant part of the expense arises from the fact that the honest customers end up paying for blades stolen by the thieves.

thieves

rubbish. in italy a pack of gillete contour (6 blades) is 2 euro. here its like 5. plenty of shoplifters in italy too. the real thieves are elsewhere.

Re: thieves

What's the minimum wage in Italy? What's the cost of insuring your supermarket against chancers making compo claims?

You need to compare like with like.

blades

true. there's another item i'll start getting from online shops.

Re: blades

Yeah The stall is on the corner of Thomas St/ Meath St, opposite the Clock pub. I think is is one of the few stalls thats there everyday. I bought 8 Mac 3 Turbo for e12 last week if memory serves me.

Gillette Blue II

Hi Havana,

Do you know if this stall had other types of Razor Blades...Gillette Blue II for example...???

Cheers,

TM.

razors

Thanks to this thread I just bought 50 gillette sensor razors on ebay for $23 + $6 p&p.

Re: razors

Not that I have noticed but he uses the Mach 3 so thats all I have asked him for.

ebay

Can somebody (who has already made a purchase and received the product) post up the links to the ebay sellers offering deliveries to Ireland.

Thanks.

Are the blades compatible with Irish ones?

EBay

jister, here's some who ship to Europe:

[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]
[broken link removed]

Re: EBay

Do a member search on ebay.com for jrsliquidations. He's in Canada (real name Robbie). I bought (16) mach 3's from him for $15.95 plus $6 postage. No problems.

Re: EBay

I bought (16) mach 3's from him for $15.95 plus $6 postage. No problems.
Do you think he's left the razors in the bottom of his trolley as well?

Re: Gillette Razor blades......

Some other posts

stubble
Unregistered User
Gillette Mach 3 prices

Does anyone know a cheaper place than supermarkets for Mach 3 razors?

The prices charged at the moment is crazy, €8.50 for 4 blades is a big time rip off. They are excellent blades and for many the only thing that will prevent the dreaded burn, but the supermarkets seem to be exploiting this....

OBrien
Gillette Mach 3 prices

Get yourself the little bottle of shaving oil and use ordinary baldes.... it eliminates burn at a much lower cost.... can't remember precisely what it's called but you'll get it in most chemists, just 3 drops required.

Blades have become an absolute rip-off, and now they're withdrawing a lot of the older versions, (eg, contour).

bluebean
Re: Gillette Mach 3 prices

A lot of shops are doing a deal on Mach 3's at the moment - they are cheaper than they usually are. I know Dunnes + Tesco's in Galway both have a sale on them at the moment, it might be worth stocking up?

Ham Slicer
Frequent poster

I can recall searching the web for cheap Mach 3 before to no avail.

I suppose you'd get them cheaper in the UK, although the risk of you giving a pilot a close shave may pose a security threat.

Frequent poster

I never found that shaving oil stuff any good to be honest. BodyShop shaving cream, an old fashioned bristle brush and generic two blade razors always did the trick for me. These days I tend to sport a fashionable and cost effective stubble though ...

biggerry
Unregistered User
Mach 3 blades

I was in Dunnes last week and they were doing a special. I think they were charging just over €5 for a pack of 4. On the same display, they were charging over €18 for a 12 pack.

On a slight tangent, I was also buying some tea bags (Lyons) and a box of 80 cost €2.50 and a box of 160 cost €5.25.

ninsaga
Frequent poster
Re: Mach 3 blades

Total Shaving Solution Oil me thinks is what u r referring 2.

ninsaga

stubble
mach 3 blades

bluebean you must be psychic because Galway is where I is, so I'm off to the sales! Brilliant !

BTW I heard that blades had become the most frequently shoplifted item and thats why they have gone behind the counter. Apparently they are sold on ebay for dirt cheap but I couldn't find them there in that type of quantity....

James
Unregistered User
Shaving

Are there any beard versions of unwanted hair removal available for men? Some women have beards and they can be removed quite successfully so why not try the same idea on real men?

broke
Unregistered User
difference

On the line that Biggerry mentioned about the unusual price of Lyons Tea bags, I've long noticed that my local Tesco charge more for a 5kg bag of potatoes than they do for two 2.5 kg bags.
Strange.

Elcato
Very frequent poster
Re: difference

Boots are doing a special on the blades at the moment - You get a free can of shaving gel if you buy 8 blades at circa €16. Not much I know but at least you're saving around €3.50 on the gel. BTW - Was in Boots in England last week and they were the same price as here for the mach3 blades.

machalla

Lidl do a nice shaving gel for about €2 or so. Good value compared to some of them out there. As good as any of the brand names I've found. They also do cheap blades and a razor to stick them on for about €3. 20 Blades in a pack plus the razor itself. They wouldn't be as good as the Gilette ones but I've found them more than adequate for day to day use.
Usually get about 2-3 months out of a pack I'd say. It certainly saves you money compared to paying €8 for maybe a months shaving (if you're lucky).

Joe Nonety
Frequent poster

I stocked up on Mach 3 Turbo blades in Budapest for about 50 cent each. When they run out I'll buy them online for slighly more.
I don't know where all these advances in razor blades is going to stop. Within a few years I'm sure there'll be a one with 54 blades and 38 lubricating strips. The handle will be a brush handle and it'll weight a stone and a half.

stobear
Frequent poster

Sounds like you could fall out of the scratcher , stand half asleep, in front of the mirror and it would do all the work,bingo, your shaved, of course this would all be done at the same time and being dressed and fed your cornflakes!!

Where do you buy them online Joe?

jllr
Unregistered User
Mach 3 Prices - Buy Online

Purchased 40 blades on Saturday on EBAY for $48 and unbeliveably received them today (From US).

Worked out at €40 as compared to around €80 from Tesco.

ttraces

Lads (and lassies?)

the stalls that set up on thomas st on friday/saturday were selling mach 3 blades for €4, not every week though. also W/S diamond for the same price.

ajapale
Frequent poster

The best way to keep blades sharp

What follows is a short extract from an engineering forum tek-tips.

[broken link removed]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the best way to keep razor blades sharp? I read somewhere that most modern razor blades dull from corrosion long before they get dull from cutting beard hair. If that is true, how can I keep them from corroding].
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Store the razor immersed head-down in baby oil.

Has anyone tried to lengthen the life of their razor blades in this way?

Ajapale

stubble
Unregistered User
keeping blades sharp

I'm at that just now, but didn't have any baby oil so used sunflower instead.

I couldn't tell you for sure that it works but I do reckon the blade will last to the end of the week without defacing the face by Friday.... so the results are better but not dramatic.

Re: Blades

I use "Simple silicone shaving gel"(or something like that) and find it pretty good. Less irritation and appears to prolong the life of my blades by about 50%. Those blades are a ridiculous price surely. I'd say they are specially engineered to last only a small number of shaves to maximise profits.

Gillette

Guys, if you all hide your shaving gear from the wives, girlfriends, etc they wont get to shave their legs with them. Then you will notice a big cost reduction on your shaving gear.

Re: >>Razor blades - Shaving

Some other posts

paulc
Unregistered User
best electric shaver?

Has anyone any opinion on what is the best electric shaver on the market? Is there one particular model that is considered to be the Mach3 of electric shavers?

Maceface
Electric Shavers

Hi Paulc,

I use a Braun Syncro System Logic 7000 Series. Was a present, but I think the price on it was just over 300 euro.
It takes longer to shave, and have to shave more often.

ClintEastwood
Unregistered User
Braun

I have used Philishave and Braun throughout the years and rate Braun higher.
You don't need to spend E300 though I reckon.
There is a Braun shop on Amazon
[broken link removed]

Even heading to the North should get you a better deal.

Red
Unregistered User
Braun

I used to use Braun, but the foil at the top of the razor used to go and was expensive to replace.

Red

stobear
Frequent poster
Re: Braun

I use a Philips coolskin, I am still suprised at the closeness of the shave, was just over 100 Irish pounds a couple of years ago, the little coolskin shaving gel pouches are a little expensive though.
Looks a bit like this one (at bottom of the page) [broken link removed]
Stobear

CyberPaddy
Unregistered User
Electric razor...

Hi Paulc,

This site [broken link removed] recommends the Panosonic razor. It has some sort of 'cross cutting' blade system. I bought one and find it fantastic.

Regards...

PaulC
Unregistered User

Thanks for all the info. I like the look of the Philips coolskin since it can be used in shower. Am I right to think that there are mirrors available that have some sort of finish on them to prevent them from fogging up in bathrooms and showers? Anyone know where these are available?

Back