Key Post: Neighbours - noise/nuisance/security problems etc.

Re: >>Neighbours - noise problems etc.

Some other posts

legend99
Hedge Issues with Neighbour

Guys,

Can someone help me asap. Have had serious hedge issues with neighbour in a bungalow my parents own near the seaside.

They are an eldery couple and your one is nutty like. So anyway, I started cutting the hedge that is 10 feet high and blocking light from coming into one of our bedrooms. She arrives up going nuts saying I cannot touch the top of her hedge I can only cut that that overhangs myside.

So basically, what rights do I have if any to cut the top of the hedge? I thought I had read before I am entitled to cut it down if it is blocking light.
I understand I have no right to a view.....as a result of this hedge we have completely lost our view of the harbour/water area. Is that correct?

In addition as she claims she owns the hedge am I within my rights to feck all the cuttings from my side in on top of her...why should I have to pay to dispose of them? In addition, could I go and pay for someone to cut the hedge and bill her, the lunatic that she is?

To be honest I have had it with her at this stage. If anyone even visits us when she is down there she comes out for a stare. An immediate member of my famiy is in the legal business and I am fully prepared to go all the way on this...

jem
Re: Hedge Issues with Neighbour

An immediate member of my famiy is in the legal business

As a matter of interest and not being smart in any way whydon't you ask this person whom you know.
Perhaps you might post back the answer you get.
hope this helps

legend99

Shes away on hols for the next two weeks.....so I can't alas!!!!

Miner
Hedge cuttings

Hi Legend. Not sure about your rights to a view but any part that overhangs on your land, you can cut and chuck it back over to her side of the hedge. I had this issue with a neighbour and an amicable agreement was reached i.e. neighbour let me cut it and I stopped throwing it in their flower beds.

Laoise
neighbour's hedge

"So anyway, I started cutting the hedge that is 10 feet high and blocking light from coming into one of our bedrooms"

Be careful. You have no legal right to damage any of her property, including hedge. (aside from the branches hanging into your garden.
You could well find yourself being sued by taking the law into your own hands like that.
Maybe unfair, but true.

legend99

I understand from talking to the citizens advice bureau that I have a right called 'ancient lights'.

As my view and light are being restricted I may resort to this.

And start firing my hedge, of which there is a lorry load full over the wall at them and start being as confrontational as this batty woman.

The last time we had builders down there, the builder rang us up complaining she was harrassing him. She kept coming into our place where he was working telling him to do this, that and the other. In the end he told her to p!ss off...bit infuriating to be honest.

AJ
your rights

Legally you may trim back the branches and roots as far as the boundary.
(Be sure you take all steps to appear as reasonable. You could inform your neighbour that you intend to cut the trees back to the boundary and could invite her to make arrangements to witness the cutting. If the trees were to die of disease as a result of cutting it would then be difficult for your neighbour to take you to the Civil Courts and establish that you had deliberately killed the trees).
Topping the hedge is illegal and could land you in court, which by the sounds of her could well happen and having to pay compensation and a colossal expenses claim.

An interesting line which a farmer informed me about, is, you could mention to your neighbour that failure to keep the hedge suitably maintained would be almost certain to result in the invalidation of the third party damage cover, which most house insurance policies include. This means the responsibility for paying for any damage to your property from her hedge, would be her own, and not her insurance company's.

legend99

So is there anyway to enforce a topping of a hedge? If not then that is insane...what about people who leave those palm trees grow to 40 feet?

fatherdougalmaguire

I started cutting the hedge that is 10 feet high and blocking light from coming into one of our bedrooms.

Maybe AJ might know something about the right to light. I'm sure it's come up on AAM before. If the hedge was originally low (not blocking light) before you took ownership of your bungalow and it has since grown over to block light, I think you have a right to cut it back down. I'm not 100% sure but maybe one of the legal eagles might provide more info.

A quick search for "right to light" throws up [broken link removed] (end of 5th paragraph)

legend99

As I said earlier this woman has harrassed us for years and I have reached the end of my tether.
If it comes to it I am going off for my day in court to get this resolved one way or another regarding the 20 years thing and the ancient lights principle.

You know the way she is entitled to any cuttings from my side. Do I have the right to just feck them in on top of her in any case even if she doesn't take up her right to want them? Why should I have to go to the bother of dumping them?
In addition, if I pay someone to cut the hedge can I bill her for it?

heinbloed
hedge cutting

You should not cut a hedge during the breeding season.
Even under Irish law that is illegal,nature preservation.

legend99

Then I'd imagine that along with 80% of the Irish Population who cut their hedges at the start and end of the summer that there is going to be a hell of a big back log of cases..

Spacer

Not sure how true it is, but I heard that if the hedge is planted on your neighbour's property and grows into your property, the part of the hedge overhanging your property (i.e. on your side of the boundary) remaind the property of your neighbour.

Therefore, the overhanging hedge you cut remains the property of your neighbour even after it's cut and, strictly speaking, you're oblibed to give it back to them.

ninsaga
Frequent poster

By the way no one has a particular right to a view. If it blocks light You may need to take legal advise. You can only cut what overhangs onto Your property.

Alot of problems arose in the UK in the last number of yrs where people planted a particular conifer tree along boundaries. This particular variety though grew at a rate of about 4ft a year & it led to alot of people being in the same situation You are now.

ninsaga

legend99

According to the local citizens advice bureau there is a right of 'ancient lights'., where if you have had a view for more than 20 years and light then you actually do have a right to a view. I always thought it was only light you had a right to but it appears not...

We used have a view of the harbour but because of her that view is not totally gone and in addition she has planted a tree behind the hedge to totally block the view completely. Therefore I am seriously considering when my relation who is a solicitor gets back to taking her to court under the ancient lights privelge. That and the fact that she is driving us nuts looking out the window everytime we go out our gate...

Marie
boundaries

My neighbours planted "rampant invasives" (mallow, buddleia, potato-vine) very close to the wooden boundary fence to the extent the roots damaged it and their is overhang and seeding of these shrubs into my (postage-stamp-size) garden.

I had to research the legal position. Any damage to your boundary fence (which is regarded as "damage your property") by inappropriate planting (the conifers you describe sound like Leylandiii, which is banned here in UK!) can be claimed against the neighbour.

As other posters here have informed, you can cut anything that overhangs your garden. This belongs to the neighbour AND MUST BE RETURNED (i.e. you cannot plant it, burn it etc., it belongs to them......unfair but true). So you can "feck it back" if you wish, though that doesn't sound conducive to resolving the issue of neighbourhood harmony.

My neighbours behaved badly as an outcome of their insecurity and jealousy. It sounds as if these neighbours feel threatened by activities (new building, the help you give your family etc.) and I wondered if they are feeling a bit overwhelmed by trying to keep their garden tidy themselves (comes to us all with increasing age!!) though they want/need the hedge to protect their fragile privicy.

Neighbourhood disputes are awful and there is no way around them. My "lot-next-door" actually put up 2 metre high rods with barbed-wire along the length of the boundary parallel with my 4' high wooden fence, once when I was visiting my sick mother in Dublin. Legal advice was they were breaking the law (b-w must be a minimum of 2 metres above ground-level). Advice was that it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to prove these harassments and infringements in Court and it's a line of action best avoided as "intentionality" has to be proven. What I did was put up trellassing and now my honeysuckle, clematis and climbing roses hide their sick monstrosity from view. I wish I could have found a way to reconcile (the house is "let" and they live elsewhere) and I would try to do so more especially with an elderly couple. For example, are they aware how upset you are with the loss of the sea-view? Perhaps you could invite them round for a cup of tea in your garden and gently explain (and they can see for themselves!) how their hedge and new tree affects you. All the best with it.

okidoki987
Kids kicking football into Garden

Just moved house and beside my new house is a green field and on the other side is a garden of a house, where my kids (unfortunately) have kicked some footballs into.
None of the balls have been returned over the wall.
The house/garden has electric wooden gates.

(A) Have I any legal right to go into his garden to reclaim my/our footballs?
(B) Has the owner (old man) any legal right to hold onto the balls?
(C) Have I any right to force him to return the footballs?

Landlord1

Perhaps before getting into legalities and trespassing etc just knock on the guys door, apologise for the incident and ask nicely for the footballs back?

In the end of the day it's just a football though and not worth making an enemy of your new neighbour surely?

okidoki987

Tried that.
He refuses to answer the door (intercom), very old man.

Landlord1

Ah well, had something similar last year with a neighbour, bought new ball and warning to kids wouldn't be replaced again if it went over the wall again.

Lifes too short to stress about these things but I'm sure someone here can advise you on the legal aspect if thats what you want to do.

zag
Administrator

I doubt he has any obligation to return the property. If he did there would be plenty of scope for causing undue hassle to other people - just keep kicking footballs into their garden and insisting they give them back.

I'm not sure if their are other issues involved with your neighbour, but I would have thought the best course of action was to tell your kids to stop kicking balls into his garden. That would solve the issue.

It's not as if he is going out of his way to annoy you, if anything else it seems he is the one on the receiving end. Maybe he has a nice garden and doesn't like footballs landing in the middle of his flower beds ? Maybe his garden is a mess and he can't see the balls.

z

paulocon

Simple answer...

Send kids to samba soccer school to improve their aim!
Only Joking...

Your neighbour would be in no way obliged to co-operate with you in this manner. If you happen to bump into him coming/going from his house, just offer him an apology and let him know that you've warned the kids. If he reacts badly, there is nothing you can do.

Just make the kids get a new ball with their own pocket-money next time it happens. You'll find it'll probably happen less and less often.

Clubman
Kids kicking football into Garden

Agree with the comments that a pragmatic rather than legalistic approach to dealing with this matter is the most advisable. The kids next door to us are sometimes kicking balls in but when they do it repeatedly over and over again on a particular day, particularly after I've asked them not to, I just stop throwing them back and leave them there until the next day when I throw them back.

AmandaC
Footballs in the gardens

Reminds me of when we were kids playing on the green area and the football was going constantly into one neighbours garden who lived directly beside the green. She was a widow and must have been driven demented by kids playing ball from breakfast to sundown.

After getting it back on about 50 occassions on one day, it went in again.

Knocked on the door. "Can we have the ball back please?" Neighbour comes out with said football hissing and deflating on the end of a pitchfork. "Is this your ball? Ah god, sure it just landed on the fork." Needless to say, no more footballs got the opportunity to land on the fork again.

The neighbour in question has since died, but everytime I pass the house to visit my parents I smile to myself.

Re: >>Neighbours - noise/nuisance/security problems et

Some other posts

Trixie
Anti-Burglar Paints?

I have a problem, being last house in row, of teens using my 6ft tall garden wall as a short cut to their new hideaway (aka drinking den!) anyway, having asked them politely to desist - unsuccessfully obviously - I'm going to paint the top of the wall with this stuff.

Never having used it before I'm wondering:
(A) is it any good?
(B) do I need to treat the concrete capping on the wall with something else first?
(C) As they are climbing onto the wall of the neighbours who back on to me first and then walking the full length will this stuff work if they're already up on the wall rather than trying to climb up onto it?

thanks

Once Bitten
Anti-Burglar Paints?

Just some quotes from One Sample Product
Benefits

Permanently greasy surface deters intruders.

Preparation

Porous surfaces: Porous surfaces such as wood or brickwork must be sealed first with 2 coats of International Concrete Sealer or International Universal Primer Sealer to prevent this product drying out.

Apply only to areas safely above head height (ie. a minimum of 3m) and where accidental contact with persons or pets will not occur.

Wear suitable protective clothing including gloves and eye/face protection.

Drying time
This product does not dry.

Hints
Anti-Burglar Paint cannot be overcoated with any other material.

I would advise extreme caution here. I was not aware of this product line before now, but there are lots of alarm bells (pun) going off in my head.

1) Note the height restriction in here. Is your wall that high ?
2) Note that it suggests accidental contact with persons or pets should be avoided.
3) Remember these kids are a nuisance. They are not burglars ... yet. This stuff sounds like it would be a good enough nuisance to act as a deterrent, but also dangerous enough to possibly cause an accident (fall or contact damage) to neighbours pets or kids.

It will be interesting to hear from someone that has used this stuff, but from what I can see, I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. It would be fine on (say) a downpipe where traffic is not expected, but not on top of an adjoining wall. If I was to use it on a wall, I would use it on a stretch of the face of the wall, but not the capping. Using it on the face would deter climbing with little risk of causing injury.

ClubMan
Administrator
Re: Anti-Burglar Paints?

[broken link removed] boards.ie topic on security might be of interest.

sinead76
anti-burglar paint

A person in an estate in my town had a similar problem and put tar on his wall to annoy the youngsters. They broke every window in his house.

sunnyday
Frequent poster
Re: anti-burglar paint

A person in an estate in my town had a similar problem and put tar on his wall to annoy the youngsters. They broke every window in his house

I was just going to suggest the possibilities of something like that happening! I know it's a horrible situation, and you do have my sympathies, but think carefully about this. I really think it might backfire on you if you go down the route of trying to get the better of little p*****s like what you're dealing with here. I don't have the answers on how to deal with it. But I think this will just fire them up. What's the chances of growing a thorny creeper that may keep them off the wall but is less obvious an attempt to get rid of them? That's just one idea, maybe others can come up with something else??

How about calling the Guards every time you see them using the wall? Even though they may be over 18 (unlikely) the guards will still go to their little drinking den and break up the party. They only need one/two 'visits' from the guards to deter them. Otherwise, try finding who owns their drinking den and have them deal with it ie block it off etc.

Some other posts

Daithi
Tall trees next door

Just moved into a new house a few months ago.
There are 50ft conifer trees on the boundary with a neighbour. During the storms last week i thought they were going to come down and hit the garage or house but they didnt.
We asked the neighbour if we could cut them down to 25ft (which is still very high, higher than the house) and we'ld pay for it but they refused to let us.
Now i'm really worried about them coming down and hitting the house, not to mention that they are HUGE and block all the light from the garden in the afternoons.
What can i do? I dont even want to get rid of them, just get them to a reasonable height?

Dr Moriarty
Very frequent poster
Re: Tall trees next door

If they're demonstrably blocking your light, then I'd say you have an enforceable case (will try to find a relevant legal reference later today ...or perhaps someone else here will come up with it sooner?).

You've already approached them verbally, and even offered to pay for the work — which you didn't have to do, IMHO — and they've refused, which seems pretty unreasonable. Your next step is probably to put it in writing, and indicate that — if they still won't comply — you intend to take 'such steps as are necessary'...

(but don't 'trespass' on their property in the meantime..!)

Daithi
Thanks Dr Moriarty

Thanks for the advice Dr.
We dont want to upset them as they are an old couple and we are just the blow ins but i think these trees need to come down to a manageable level or there will be damage to the house. Also the needles etc blow off of them onto our garden and drive which makes it dangerously slippy.

EAMONN66
Frequent poster
similar query

hi , ive got a similar query. im buying a new house with very high trees between the house and a neighbour. in this case the trees are on our side of the fence and cast a shadow into our garden. does anyone know if the neighbours would have a right to object or stop me cutting them back.

legend99
Very frequent poster

You're, I think, looking for info about the principle of ancient lights.
But I think to enforce that, the lights that is now being blocked would have had to have been accessable for 10 years before being blocked...
Google it.....I remember checking into it about 2 years ago...much the same thing.

sherman
Frequent poster

Surely Eamonn 66 its your property and you can do whatever you like with YOUR trees - they have no more right to complain than if you wanted to paint your living room purple.

Marie
Frequent poster

Eamonn66 - Cast a shadow across your garden WHEN? If they are to the north or east of your house it might be worth thinking about retaining them if they are a windshield for north or northeasterly winds. Same goes for the original post. If the western (prevailing) winds of the storm were blowing the conifers in the direction of the property they are also - in general terms - shielding the house and garden. My mother (who knew nothing about gardening) removed a line of privet hedging from her garden in Dublin at one stage and couldn't understand why the wonderful standard rose bushes began to fail. The hedge was put there by my father (who WAS a gardener!!) to protect the roses from wind - which they hate!

As far as the Ancient Lights laws are concerned I understood this applied only to structures immediately adjacent to windows?

legend99
Very frequent poster

if the trees were blocking light into a window I think ancient lights would count....

An awful lot of this depends on who actually owns the trees in question....i.e. who planted them.
As regards the parts on yoru property you are entitled as far as I know to cut them immediatly...i.e. you can cut back as far as the boundary division. But you can't cut anything off the top..unless you literally had a court injunction to say you could...

EAMONN66
Frequent poster

thanks everybody

Daithi
They are to the west

In my case the trees are on the west side of my garden.
Not too worried about flowers, but i would like some light in the garden.
These trees are too big as it is and i think cutting them back to about 25ft is not unreasonable. Also it means that if they fell they would not reach the house just flatten the shed.

zag
Administrator
Re: They are to the west

Daithi - these trees were there when you came to look at the house, they were there when you put in a bid, they were there when you signed, and they were there when you moved in. The neighbours didn't pull a fast one on you by erecting them at some stage in the above process - they have been there a long time.

The only thing that has changed is that you have now noticed them.

I appreciate your concerns (I wouldn't want a tree falling on my house) but I don't think there is anything you can do to make your neighbours reduce their height.

You could try contacting your local authority and seeing if there are any regulations covering this type of risk - if there was an imminent risk of the trees falling (like they were rotten, not just big) there presumably would be something that could be done from a public safety aspect.

As I understand it, you can remove the parts of the tree on or over your property, but I am pretty sure you cannot (legally) do it to the extent that it would put the survivability of the entire tree at risk - and anyway this would probably increase the chances of the tree falling on your house.

z

Daithi
I know

I know what you're saying. I never said that i dont understand the neighbours point of view. I'm not even worried about damage to the house if a tree falls (And they looked very much like they were going to fall at the weekend) I'm worried about who it might injure or kill in the house if one falls.
At least if there was no-one in when one hits, either the neighbours or my own insurance would cover the damage, given the fact that i have asked the neighbour to allow me to do something about the problem.
Friday night a friend who lives in a two story building only about 2 miles away had a similar tree come crashing through their window, so i'm waiting to see what happens there

Sueellen,
Moderator.

Saw an item on TV3 recently where the author of this book (Legal Expert)[broken link removed] went into the nitty gritty of this problem.

Some other posts

dr who
noise from next door

I live in a newly constructed terraced house and since i moved into the house in july 04, there have been on-going issues with bass noise (music) coming through the walls from next door. It is only from one side that the problems occurs.

I have discussed it my neighbours 3 times but to no avail. they are renting the house, so I got in touch with the owner via the estate agent. For a while the noise was lowered but it started up again.

The builders were still on site so they agreed to perform a sound test on the house via an external company. the results of this test confirmed that the build was up to the correct building regs. On confirmation of this and subsequent noise issues, i again contacted the owners via the estate agent.

This was over 2 weeks ago and despite us leaving contact info we have not heard from the owners. The noise related issues are still on-going, so I am wondering what is the best way to proceed with the problem.

I would really like to speak to the owners of the house but do not know how to go about finding out who owns the house. Due to confidentiality obligations the estate agent cannot give it to me. I have contacted the Citizens Advice Bureau who sent me out info on how to proceed but it seem quite drastic; i.e. legal action.

Has anyone ever undertaken this step and how successful is it? I would appreciate all comments as I it is a constant worry that the situation will get worse.

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster
Re: noise from next door

Join the queue. The only official recourse is to arrange an appointment with the district court clerk. No legal representation is required. The mere presence of an invitation to such a meeting might be enough to get the landlord to cop on. For now, keep a log of all disturbances. Also talk to your community officer in the local Garda station. Although there's nothing they can do legally, a visit from them to your neighbour one night might be enough to put the coolers on them. Get them to pop into your house beforehand though so if you do decide to go to the court you have a professional witness.

So far we haven't had to go to these lengths but I, and many others, can sympathise with you. Especially when you've moved into a new house which you were no doubt excited about only to have inconsiderate people live next door and ruin it all. It can get very stressful sometimes.

Another avenue you might pursue would be to bring it to the attention of your local councillor. My take on it is that the regulations clearly aren't good enough when it comes to party walls in semi-detached houses.

sueellen
Re: Noise from next door

Hi Dr. Who,

Welcome to AAM. Hope we can provide some help.

Know exactly where you are coming from because of a rented house that we have next door to us although we know who the landlord is.

Your best bet for good advice is probably the although they would appear to be extremely busy at present.

Hope this helps.

heinbloed1
noise/sound test

Hi dr.who!

Those who pay for the band decide what tunes will be played.
Get your "own" test done and talk to the testers about what you want to hear,like the builder has probably done as well.A test result being within in the building regs does not automatically mean that it is within your rights as an EU citizen/consumer. The Irish gouvernment is well known to give a dam about EU legislations and the transition of these legislations to Irish law,if necessary you can take them to court.It happens all the time,you wouldn't be the first one.

Marie
Very frequent poster
noise/sound test

Hi Dr. Who.........If you have made every effort to reason with the tenants next-door about your right to enjoyment of your property without being intruded on by their antisocial habits then the next step is taking them to court.

Heinebloed is correct and increasingly EU regulations are evoked (I am fortunate the local Council actually have a "Noise Nuisance 24-hour helpline" as excessive noise is now the major cause of disharmony in urban centres. This crowd take your details (as another posted advised, LOG EVERYTHING - time started, time ended, kind of music, how it affected you (couldn't hear your t.v., could not sleep etc.)

The landlord who now sounds indifferent to your sufferings will then get either an Injunction against further noise, or will be fined. Either way he will be aware that ignoring your rights and peaceful occupancy will have repercussions.

Sorry to hear your new home is being turned into a misery. I've experienced this at various times in the past.......there is nothing worse because there's no way you can block out others' noise. All the best with it.

fatherdougalmaguire
Very frequent poster
Re: noise/sound test

Hi Marie,
That's an interesting concept you mention. I suspect, though, that it's purely for noises which the general public (neighbourhood) would be hearing as opposed to the increasingly common semi-d type thing some of us are suffering? Or does it just cover council housing?

If it covers inter-neighbour episodes we'd be grateful for more details.

sueellen

Dougal,

As far as I'm aware Marie is living in the UK and some of the Councils there would appear to handle the situation in a better manner than their Irish counterparts. In both our situations SDCC do not want to know - no money in it for them!

Ash
noise survey

Dr Who,

I sympathise with your situation. I have a noise issue close by which is slowly driving me bats!

Heinbloed & Dr Who,

You both mentioned getting in professionals who measure sound/noise levels. Because of the situation mentioned above, I'd be very interested in getting a noise survey done.
Can either or both of you give the name/address or phone number of the people you used or any other independent noise survey company?

sueellen

Ash,

Is it anything to do with a business nearby?

A friend of mine had a problem with a company leaving engines running in trucks to keep the refrigerated units cool at night and her Council dealt with the matter.

fatherdougalmaguire

Hi Sueellen,

Now that you mention it, I do remember Marie mentioning she was in the UK at the time. I also remember seeing an advertisement recently on C4 about such a service. I guess our county councils are just too darn busy changing from mph to kph.

We did ask Ded Sound to do a survey but that were charging a lot and did admit that the results would be useless in a court. Our builder, however, has taken our (and other people's) comments on board and are now using a different method for party walls in their semi-d houses.

Daithi
We had to move

We had to move because of this.
Took the neighbour to court. They got told to not make anymore noise. called guards. It stopped for a while each time then they would have parties starting at 2 am with someone looking out for the guards.
When a police car came along (they knew we were calling them) the noise would stop.
It was all an effort to get even with us for bringing them to court.
We moved eventually but kept the house. We rented it to the biggest meanest person i know he says he has no problems with them. In fact i told him to have all the parties he wants. He assures me he's making life a misery for them next door, so some satisfaction there

EAMONN66
Frequent poster
Re: We had to move

theres probably not much wrong with the standard of the house if noise is only coming in from 1 side.
ring a law searchers or go into the the land registry and ask them to find out who owns the property. if you can get a phone number and hassle the landlord directly, each time the music starts up, he'll soon sort it out.

sueellen

"We rented it to the biggest meanest person i know he says he has no problems with them. In fact i told him to have all the parties he wants. He assures me he's making life a misery for them next door, so some satisfaction there"

:lol

Some other posts

geegee
Local user
Noise from upstairs

I am thinking about fitting carpets upstairs in a new house for two main reasons: Noise insulation and comfort.
However, the standard finish upstairs is a chipboard floor so if I put floorboards on top, would this be any way as effective as carpet and underlay for noise insulation?

Thanks in advance,

GG.

Gordanus
Re: Noise from upstairs

www.domesticsoundproofing.co.uk/floors.htm

lots of ideas and some information but dunno if available in Ireland

Hope Rexo won't mind me copying his excellent post on soundproofing to this key post:

Soundproofing is not a very technical or complicated job, but be careful. Ive seen a few sound proofing jobs that have been done only to make the problem worse. Sometimes the more vibrating layers that you put against the party wall of semidetached house or an apartment, the better the drum / speaker effect and the greater the tendency for sound to amplify from next door. alot of its due to complete ignorance of some builders

Better to understand whats happening first.
Alot of party walls are giving problems at the moment because of of the method of construction used over the past few years. Block Party walls are not plastered in the traditional fashion but they are applied with big sheets of plasterboard that are taped along their joints and line plastered along the butt joints. Problems stem from small amounts of energy making its way through blockwork (usually badly built porous blockwall where mortar beds are not complete) and accumulating in the 0-5mm+ gap between the board and the blockwork. The sound is amplified and comes into the sitting room etc.
Solving the problem
Tell the builder exactly what you want, and how to do it. Its not a specialist job so dont rush in to this. Direct labour will work out better quality wise.
1.Get the right man/men i.e an electrician to remove the switches/tv points from the wall before the job,
2.You could strip the plasterboard off the wall yourself, Get a plasterer to plaster the wall with sand/cement mix.
3.Theres a great composite fabric backed plasterboard (2 inches thick)on the market specifically designed to reduce sound transmission. This should be rigidly fixed using mushroom plugs to the wall. Think its called Rockwall, but will check
4. Get a plasterer back to skim coat the plasterboard
5. Get the eletrician back to connect the sockets/switches/tv points etc into the wall
6 Make sure the board is sealed where it meets the floor sidewalls and ceiling
7. Take up a couple of floor boards in the room above the sitting room (alongside the party wall )and stuff the space between the floor joists and the wall with fibre glass. This will absorb any sound.

If its a new house (built within last 5yrs)you could ask the County Council Building Control Authority to serve an enforcement notice on the builder to do the work with no cost to yourself. You must prove that the party wall has failed the Regulation requirement regarding sound ( will take a professional report from acoustic engineer) before enforcement notice can be served.
The Regulations require that party walls between dwellings must have "reasonable resistance to sound"

I have a problem with my neighbours using their conservatory as a room to mix drum beats on their computer this goes on until the early hours and is even left to run through the night sometimes. We live in a mid terra tce and have tried talking compromise, nothing has been followed through to the point that I have a peaceful house.Does anyone have any advice out there please?

Hi Toni,

AFAIK your options are the ones mentioned throughout this thread i.e.

1. If the house is rented you could try contacting either the landlord of the Private Residential Tenancies Board

2. If the house is privately owned then your options are to contact your local community garda or [broken link removed].

Hi

Contact you local council and request a visit from an Environmental Health Officer who will monitor the sound levels and take appropriate action if they are above acceptable levels.

SM

Neighbours 'fan'

Our 'detached' neighbours have just installed a heat exchange unit on the side of their house that blows a cold draft right across our path out the back. There is also some noise from the fans and wind noise when the wind blows through the unit ..... it measures about 3ft x 5ft and is mounted above the level of the party wall (there's a 2ft-wide path on their side of this wall and a 3ft path on ours). Planning say that it is outside of their remit. We asked them to remove it or at least position it below the level of the party wall. No response. Feels like we're 'getting the fingers' here? Any suggestions?

Back