Key Post: Importing a car from the UK

Just wondering, there is a trick in many countries, as you exporting anything, car for example, you can claim back for VRT, so if anybody knows if it works in england. Want to buy a car there and bring over to Ireland.

Bought a car in November from the North, there was problems with the money transferring to original owner from irish to northern account, it took two weeks, then it took four weeks to get the cert back from the DVLNI, this brought me to christmas, meanwhile i had it parked in the north at my misses old house she's a resident up there but has moved to the south. I'm building a house at the minute and i'm flat out every weekend, had no time to go up and collect it until now. The only thing is i've ran into some money troubles and i'm thinking about selling the car again. The VRT on the car is more substantial than i thought. Thing is the cert i have to leave into the VRO has my name signed on it. How would i go about selling the car will i encounter any problems seen i haven't registered it and am trying to sell it, would it help if i sold it back to somebody in the north?

Whad did you do with the plate under the bonnet with weight printed on it

Are there any Agents in Ireland that would source and import from the UK for you for a fee?

Bedlam

Are there any Agents in Ireland that would source and import from the UK for you for a fee?

hi,

I used dreamcars.ie to source and deliver 2 cars for me in the last 2 years talk to adrian very professional and good advice....no affiliation by the way i just believe in good service and value for money!

Are there any other outfits other than Dreamcars.ie that do this ? They have given me a few quotes for delivering the car I want, but I can almost buy the car here for the price they are asking for it, with the added benefit of being able to see it myself.

UK Import Queries

I have agreed to purchase a car in the UK and need answers to the following questions if people can help me.

The garage has asked me do I want to pay tax in the UK for the car. But does this cover me in Ireland? I am not allowed to drive the car in the UK without tax or insurance

When do I need to pay the VRT on the car? Have I a certain grace period?

no uk tax is required, tell them that teh car is for export, and they should compelte certificate of permanent export, and allow you drive the car to th ferry, will also need to produce copy of your ferry ticket, but as car is leaving the country for good, no tax is required.

as regards the VRT, rules have changed but think it is quite short maybe 7 days, but check the VRT website and you should get all you need.

Back