Key Post: Hair Straighteners?

S

sueellen

Hi there,

Having read about the good hair day straightener for many months, I have finally decided I am going to buy one. Does anyone know where is the cheapest place to buy these, either on line or in a shop?
I've heard that hairdressers can get them at cost price and might sell them to you for that if you know them well...?? any truth in this? Or is there anyway I can buy direct from producer and save a few bob?

Also, there was a thread here a while back about beaty products on line, can anyone point me in the right direction? Coming up to Xmas I could do with buying some pressies for people!

thanks in advance

Frizzy

Re: where is the cheapest place to buy ghd straightener?

Strawberrynetfor cosmetics and perfume. Way cheaper than anywhere in Ireland.

re

Thanks guys. I'm still hoping for a hairdresser to post an answer to see if they can get them at cost price or not! Guess they're all busy working and don't have time to post here! (unlike me, I'm being a major slacker today)

thanks again!

Hair Straighteners

You can get one in the hairdressers suply shop on Lower Abbey Street - I don't think it's a GHd but it was recommended by a colleague of me.

By the way before you go forking out for one- 'Big Hair' is in this season.

GHD's

All I can say is get a ghd, they are expensive but worth every penny. It takes 10 seconds to warm up and only a couple of minutes to straighten hair. The advantage is that your hair stays poker straight, shiney and silky all day long, and I have natually curly hair! It's brilliant.

If you know a hairdresser they'll get it ex vat. They are available to buy at all Peter Mark hairdressers but my local hairdresser in Castleknock sells them a whole €5 cheaper!

They'll save you a fortune cos you won't have to go to the hairdressers anymore to get your hair blow dried straight!

GHDs

Hi,

Just a little info which might be helpful. Kodos is the sister company, (I think) of Good hair Day. They have recently launched the GHD straightener under the Kodos brandname. They are identical but do retail cheaper.

If you are going to invest in an iron buy either GHD or Kodos. This really is a case of the "buy cheap, buy twice" syndrome.

Most people are upgrading their straighteners almost as often as their mobiles. I am guessing they will be the "hot" item for Christmas!!!!!! :rollin

Cari

PS. Don't feel bad about spending the money..... Secondary school students have no bother forking out €140. Sign of the times eh.....

GHD

Bought a straightener last week for €49 in Power City called Remmington Power Ceramic. It is a slimline one.

My sister has the GHD one and this is every bit as good.

Even himself thought I had been at the hairdressers.

GHD

There is a hairdressers in Carlow that do the GHD straigtener for €90. (Not Petermark BTW).

Re: GHD

I missed the programme 'Watchdog' this week but understand they did an item on the GHDs and how some of them are causing problems with going on fire and I think burning out. The manufacturers did admit to problems but put them down to a 'bad batch'!

I saw the programme and it seems that some of them sparked, gave out smoke etc.

I know of several people who own one and have yet to have any problems. I suppose it's like all things you buy; things can go wrong. GHD says that they will give a refund or exchange to anyone that it happens to.

I bought my girlfriend one and its a year old and working fine. Its so popular that at least 15 people have used it at this stage, and its saved well over €1000 in hairdressing fees.
Trips to the hairdresser were a must before every wedding before, but now its a DIY job which looks like the work of Vidal Sasoon.

re

Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to stick to the GHD straightener, so am only interested in that one. Joe, did you have any trouble ordering it online? How long did it take to get here?
I might even ask Santa for it for Xmas....!!!

One of the girls that I work with ordered hers online and it was delivered no probs. As far as I can recall she paid the extra for the quicker delivery and it arrived within 2 days.

I got mine from a hairdressers and it worked out at much the same price as hers. Do you not think that if that's the case that it would not be better to have a shop such as Peter Marks to bring it back to if there is a problem? If you buy on the net and it breaks down don't you have to pay for the postage to return it for repair?

I'm just wondering also if the reason why a lot of hairdressers are complaining about the GHDs drying out the hair too much is (1) because they want to sell their expensive conditioning treatments and (2) are they finding their bs. is down because people can manage their hair better themselves :rolleyes

GHD's

why a lot of hairdressers are complaining about the GHDs drying out the hair too much is ............

Temperatures of 210 degrees applied directly to Hair, on a regular basis, of course are going to damage it. Secondly most people still expect to colour and highlight the same hair as normal every few weeks.

are they finding their bs. is down because people can manage their hair better themselves

No, business is not affected in general..... There is no real profit in having any stylist blowdrying hair straight for up to an hour when they could be colouring etc....

re

Good point Suellen, hadn't thought about the 'after sales service' side of things. would prob be better to buy it local really...however, I'm going to London in a few weeks and am just wondering if I could get it cheaper there? Prob not, taking sterling difference etc. in to consideration.
I think I will stick with buying local...now, I better head off and start being extra nice to hairdresser to see if I can get it Vat free!! ;)

Thanks for all your help.

Re: re

Hi Frizzy,

Coincidentally enough I was just flicking thru an old 'Woman' mag. dated 22/9/03 late last night and came across one of their testing/recommendations/ratings article and they tested 3 and found the cheapest to be the best and it is here on the Argos site Its on page 203 of the Irish catalogue and is €47.99 (they only appear to have an English site hence the sterling prices). I know Clubman would always say they are not good value but I feel that if you buy something like this hair straightener that takes a lot of wear and tear you are also better off taking the insurance which in this case is €8.49 extra. I know from experience that they are very good about replacements when there is a problem.

I know others have recommended not to buy the cheaper models and I have a GHD myself but it might be worth a try - purely up to yourself. Good luck with the purchase and straightening :)

I know a couple of girls who have the Babybliss hair straightener and they usually end up borrowing my girlfriend's ghd straightener the whole time, so that says enough for me about which is better.
Any damage done to the hair can be avoided using the ghd oil.

I agree with Joe. I have the Babybliss hair straightener and have ended up getting the GHD straighener.

I can't believe that people would go into to Petermarks and pay €150 for a GHD when (a) it's the same price from ghdhair.com with post & packing and (b) when its readily available for €90. Hasn't anyone said to Petermarks that this is a rip off?! Am I the only one who refuses to pay this amount??

Some other posts

ajones
Hair straightener

Hi

I was wondering what the best hair straightener is on the market at the moment. Also can it be purchased in around the Stephens Green, Grafton Street area.
Thanks

Kevin

Unregistered user
Hair Straightener

Kevin

I bought one in Argos a few weeks ago. I did shop around and personally speaking was not prepared to pay €180 for the GHD brand which is being sold in most hairdressers etc.

Ended up purchasing one in Argos for around €60 (Vidal Saloon pro elite). It's a nice slim unit, and it has adjustable heat so you don't scorch the head off yourself. Very pleased with it indeed!

Happy shopping.

Kilteragh
Hair Straightener

The ghd one is available a bit cheaper online at [broken link removed]

The wife got it recently and swears by it. It has cut her straightening time by two thirds. Also (big generalisation here) the cheaper ones tend not to last as long - the plates burn out.

ann
Unregistered User
ghd

Kevin,

The Ghd is 155 euro can be bought in peter marks and is much better than the ones in argos.

Sally
Re: ghd

I bought the GHD for €150. Its the best by far on the market and worth every penny.

Sally

Back