"key-a-like" locks and keys: Pros and Cons?

ajapale

My locksmith has offered to replace my three house locks with a "Key Alike" system. This means that the one key fits all three locks in the house. Keys are secruity coded and only the locksmith can provide replacements.

My question is as follows: What are the pros and cons with a system like this?

In addition I could install "thumb turns" which make it possible to exit without a key. What are the advantages and disadvantages of "thumb turns"?

All information gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

ajapale

Re: "keyed-a-like" locks and keys: Pros and Cons?

I would have thought that the advantage of having one key fit all locks is that you don't have to carry three different keys with you and once you have a key you can enter any through any of the doors. - If the locksmith is keeping the security code then it means you can't just go to any locksmith to get additional keys cut but have to go back to the original and pay whatever he charges - this might be ok, might be worth asking him.

Thumb turns I don't like (and this is just a personal opinion) - the advantage is that you know that when you close the door behind you it will always be locked - i.e. you can't inadvertently leave the house open. However, this means that if you leave the house and have forgotten your keys you are definitely locked out, and if you have the fancy sounding "key alike" system then you are definitely locked out of ALL three doors!!

I prefer a system where I have to have a key to lock the front door - it means I never forget the keys!

efm

Re: "keyed-a-like" locks and keys: Pros and Cons?

Thanks efm, (is that short for electro motive force?).

That gave me something to think about. Another drawback with having one key opening all doors occurs if you are compromised by theft of the key. In order to re-secure the house you have to replace 3 locks rather that only one in the traditional way.

The "thumb turn" allows you to exit with out a key but you still need a key to lock the door from the outside. Obviously you dont need a key to lock it from the inside.

aj

Back