Just won a car-advice needed

tosh100

What a stroke of luck, have won a t corolla worth circa 21k in credit union draw !!!! Am going to the garage on Saturday to see it - feel that I want cash instead - my own car is not too bad at mo. What is the best way to approach this with the garage? How easy would it be to sel it myself if the garage wont give the cash. Great situation to be in but need some advice

take the car and sell it privatley either in the paper or buy and sell or carzone.ie or whatever, the garage may not give you the fulll value.

Find out the exact value of it before you go to the garage,sound them out on selling it for you.Let them take 500 euro for themselves you still have 20500 euro in the back pocket.I,d love to be in that position:cool: :cool:

Congratulations on your win!
My sister won a car through the credit union a few years ago - she rang them in advance of visiting the garage and told them she didn't want the car (she didn't drive at the time); they offered her a cheque for £11000 which she took - and promptly spent!
Happy spending!
Ruth

Congrats!, I've been entering those C.U. draws for years and thought no one would win the car! nice one.

Firstly as above check with the garage if they'll do a Cash equiv.
The C.U. Draw terms & conditions might also help.

A Cousin of my wife won a Focus a few years ago in a Garda draw and the garage gave him 17K cash at the time, your garage will probably do the same, but you might get more selling it yourself. If the Garage would give you the car unregistered (unlikely) your buyer would be buying a new car i.e. first owner of a little less than garage price! Should be snapped up!

You should check with the draw organisers if they will give a cash equivalent. I know you can choose which you would prefer is alot of football club draws. Same situation on the winning streak game show, you can choose to take the money. Congrats by the way!

mc-BigE said:
If the Garage would give you the car unregistered (unlikely) your buyer would be buying a new car i.e. first owner of a little less than garage price! Should be snapped up!
That's impossible. VRT regs etc.

If the car is worth €21k retail, a cash customer might buy it for maybe €19250.

With one name on the logbook I'd sell it for €18k.

Still a nice win though. Congrats.

I won a VW Polo in 2000 and at the time the garage offered a very low price for it as they told me they had allready gave a big discount to the draw organisors but that if I wished I could sell it myself and they would allow me to leave it in the garage until I got it sold hence I would not be registering it. In the end I decided to upgrade it to a VW Golf. Nice win.
Good luck - its a nice problem to have - you cannot loose.

Again congrats
I too know someone who won and sold it to a pal. Both went to garage to do transaction. Hence, pal can be first registered owner and paid the amount the garage would have given to the original winner (plus a bit for good will). Everyone happy.

Congratulations on your win,
I too won a car in the credit union draw, years ago though. my advise to you is to try and get the garage to buy it off you as that way you do not have to become the registered owner (which would then make it a second hand car!).

If you don't want the car, and could do without the cash would you consider giving it to a charity of your choice to raffle? Easy come and easy go ... plus think of all the good kharma it will bring :)

Henny Penny said:
If you don't want the car, and could do without the cash would you consider giving it to a charity of your choice to raffle? Easy come and easy go ... plus think of all the good kharma it will bring :)

Would that be the "Henny Penny give me a free car" Raffle? ;)

Back