Judgement mortgage

buttercup98

Hi I have just gotten a letter today stating that a judgement mortgage was taking out on my house in 2013 for a unpaid loan. I hadn't heard anything about this loan for 4 years +. It wasn't that I was Ignoring the backs or court dates. I genuinely didn't get any letters in regard to it. Now I know I buried my head in the sand when I first defaulted on the loan. My question is what do I do now. Can I offer to pay back the loan on a weekly or monthly schedule ? Or what happens. My ex- partner is furious as the mortgage is jointly in our names and he lives there.

Any help would be appericated

How does it affect your ex-partner?

If you sell the house and there is equity of €100k after the main mortgage is paid off, he will get his €50k and you will get €50k less the judgement mortgage.

It is extremely unlikely that they would seek a repossession order based on a judgement order, although they could, in theory, do so.

Yes, you can pay the mortgage and clear it off the house. They might even do a deal with you.

Brendan

He still lives there. He pays the full mortgage on the property. It's is negative equity by about €150k. He says this will affect all his future loan applications until cleared.

I want to clear the loan not the mortgage.

So you have a loan for an unspecified amount outstanding that you haven't paid anything towards for several years?

You have a property that you jointly own with an ex, you no longer live there and no longer contribute towards the mortgage? You are still on the mortgage though and are still liable for it.

Why did you receive a letter out of the blue about the judgement mortgage? What was the context?

Have you had any engagement with your lender for the (non-mortgage) loan? have your circumstances changed? Can you afford repayments now? You can always offer repayment - but what terms would they be under?

I think it might be worth filling in the money makeover template to get a clearer picture of where you are at.

Back