John McManus defends IFA chief's pay

Duke of Marmalade

McManus argues in the Irish Times today that when you consider the €45M tax breaks that farmers got in the last two budgets, that IFA guy deserves his pay packet.

At least three objections occur:

1. Possibly these tax breaks had something to do with lobbying, but surely a small fraction.

2. He ain't the only farmers' lobbyist, why do the others not get similarly paid?

3. PAYE workers gained a whole lot more than €45M in the last two budgets. Should the bearded ones take credit for this and get paid a multiple of what the IFA guy got?

It was some pay packet. Hopefully it might tempt John Delaney to leave the FAI for the IFA :p

But nothing surprises me in this country....how many more out there like this in the Unions, Charity sector (no was was Rehab an outlier), IBEC (I'd say there's a few mouth watering salaries in there) etc

In fluffy times ,it became a race to the Top, to see who could trouser the most .
As the add says {because I am worth it}
The extreme example was the upper echelon in Banking ,and I fear any organisation that stays with such {I am worth it} salaries have lost their way and will implode as the Banks have done to our cost.
That includes the usual suspects.
The only plus point is that the usual suspects do not get most of their funds from the public purse and its up to their memberships to sack them pronto!

It was some pay packet. Hopefully it might tempt John Delaney to leave the FAI for the IFA :p

But nothing surprises me in this country....how many more out there like this in the Unions, Charity sector (no was was Rehab an outlier), IBEC (I'd say there's a few mouth watering salaries in there) etc
Lots more Delboy. McNiece's €20M package from the IMO puts the IFA guy in the halpenny place. But it was not the pay packet itself that had steam coming out of every orifice it was the fact that John McManus defended it on the back of two good budgets for farmers.

McNiece's package was out of this world. And nothing could be done! Talk of a legal case soon drifted away.

I see Liam Doran of the INMO on the lunchtime news discussing the A&E Nurses strike ballet but all the reporters want to know is how much he earns. And he said thats not up for discussion, it's a private matter.
For now, Liam, for now!

Liam Doran is very good at his job. He's worth every cent of whatever he earns to the people he represents. I think what he does damages the health service and is bad for the country in general but his job is to get as much money as possible for as little input as possible while protecting the image of his members and creating a public perception that they are victims of the system and have no part in the shambles that is our health service.

He's brilliant at that.

Liam Doran is very good at his job. He's worth every cent of whatever he earns to the people he represents. I think what he does damages the health service and is bad for the country in general but his job is to get as much money as possible for as little input as possible while protecting the image of his members and creating a public perception that they are victims of the system and have no part in the shambles that is our health service.

He's brilliant at that.

I agree. It's amazing the spaces he can squeeze his little face in.

As for the farmers...I always thought they were a canny bunch, too canny in fact to have the wool pulled over their ewes

Liam Doran is very good at his job. He's worth every cent of whatever he earns to the people he represents.
And I'm sure someone in the IFA thought Smith was worth every cent, and someone in the IMO hierarchy thought McNiece was as good as Ronaldo and worth every cent too.
We'll see what the members of the INMO think when the salary is revealed

Dear Mr Delboy,
In yesterdays INDO , I see most of the senior pinkos in trade unions gave their salary.
Most cases not too high and look sensible. I await the revealing of the rest but it appears the Unions keep a handle and sense of perspective on their worthies..
Missing though are salaries on IBEC type unions ie non-pinkos. I await their figures.

I think these super-inflated packages are a throw back to the fluffy times and its very good to see them challenged.
I have great difficulty in seeing how one person can justify pay over k150 , never mind k500+
Everyone can sense fairness.
If salary was k150 and a bonus on measurable sensible goals , I have no issue paying short term high bonuses but just lobbed onto pensionable salary = no.

I note from bits of Con Lucey's report that the IFA guys are paid based on the remuneration level of the civil servants they talk to. How insane is that given that said civil servants are already paid 30% more than their equivalents in the private sector. He also reports that while the IFA guys have contracts with the IFA, they are free to work outside the organisation and earn extra cash as "consultants" or talking heads. I don't think too many other private sector employers would approve of this arrangement. Maybe this is benchmarked against their civil service opposite numbers as well. A right old carry on.

Back