job seekers allowance going abroad

Liam513

Hi all!
I have a very complicated situation. I am an irish national by decent. I was born in a non ea country. I was able to claim my irish citizenship 2012. December 2012 when me and my wife went to ireland. I worked for my father but only got part time work. was working 20 hours a week. sometimes even 10. but I was living with him. Then he decided to just let us live on top of the shop he owns. After a year, I was able to claim job seekers allowance. a few month after claiming JSA my wife and i found a place to rent since the living situation on top of the shop was not really good (small room, very old building, 1 johns to share with employees).April of this year when I was let go from my job since the shop isnt doing that great and i was the last one in so im the first one out(to quote my father). ever since then I have been on jobseekers allowance without any deductions. My wife and I try to find work but were unlucky. I am now enrolled to take up a course for 1 year. (so I am switching from JSA to BTEA). Heres the tricky part. My wife and I need to go back to the country we originated from for 1 year next year. We plan to come back here and hopefully have someone with us (baby). Will I be able to go back on JSA right away? Will me going back to a non european country affect my habitual residence? Since its very hard to get work where I live now, Im not expecting to get a job right away when we come back but i will try. Also I am not sure my father will let me live with him again since his situation has changed for the worst. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

You can sign for jobseekers again but it's likely that you will need to go through the habitual residence procedure on your return from abroad.

Back