Job Location Change

mo3art

To cut a long story short, the office I work in proposes to move to another location.
Distance wise, it's not a massive move, but it will involve an extra 40 mins (minimum) commute per day, on top of my already 3 hours commute.

Obviously, this will mean that I get home later in the evenings/leave earlier in the mornings. What are my rights and entitlements as regards recompense for the move? As I see it, the company has decided to move, but I am inconvenienced by it, along with quite a large number of staff.

To be honest, I'm not interested in money so much as the fact that I will be spending more time commuting and feel that they should perhaps offer us flexitime or another alternative.

mo3art said:
What are my rights and entitlements as regards recompense for the move?

What does your contract of employment say about "place of work"? Chances are that it covers the possibility of such a move and offers no compensation for any inconvenience caused by same. There are no statutory entitlements to compensation for such a move as far as I know.

Apologies for taking so long to get back lads.

In answer to your question CM - my contract states that my place of employment is "X". Nothing about the location changing etc.

In answer to your question Purple - Yes, I do work in the public sector in a non-unionised job, mores the pity in many ways.

I don't believe that a 4 hour commute per day (which is realistically what it is going to be), is sustainable in the long term!

mo3art said:
In answer to your question CM - my contract states that my place of employment is "X". Nothing about the location changing etc.

Seems unusual to me. Most contracts that I've had have said that the place of work is "X" or any other location that may be determined from time time. If your contract is more specific then it would seem like a change of location is a change in the terms & conditions of your employment. As such perhaps there is some comeback in theory but I'm not sure in practice what the employer would do in this situation. Have you or others mentioned the issue to your employer and, if so, what have they said? I would imagine that a reasonable approach to negotiation would be the best bet in this situation if you think that you have a legitimate complaint.

Yes, I do work in the public sector in a non-unionised job, mores the pity in many ways.

Do you mean private sector?

I don't believe that a 4 hour commute per day (which is realistically what it is going to be), is sustainable in the long term!

Have you told your employer this? Are others similarly affected by the move?

I personally think that a 3 hour commute is not sustainable. How more inconvenient is the commute in terms of transfers or do you drive ? As Clubman says I would bring this to the attention of you employer and see if flexible hours as a compromose would suit.

I agree with the last couple of posts; you should talk to your employer about this.
Even if it's not in your contract the fact that you have been working in the same place for X number of years would establish a precedent and it is not reasonable to move your place of employment without consulting you and offering some solution to the problems that this will cause you. What would the situation be if they moved from Kerry to Galway, would they expect everyone to commute?
If this is legal it's a great way to avoid paying redundancy when close a business down.

Believe it or not, there is legal precedent on this matter - but first, here's some general background on the matter.

If an employer is not selling the business, but just requires staff to move office (i.e., transfer to another location), then I am not aware of any specific employment rights that staff have in this context. In other words, to my knowledge, staff are not automatically entitled to 'moving expenses' or compensation for moving office.

In situations where an employer DOES (and many do) make these expenses available, then the terms and conditions of any payments made are for negotiation between the employer and the employee (or a trade union on behalf of an employee).

Sometimes, given the nature of employment (particularly in the public sector) an employer may have a mobility policy in place. In stituations like this (the Civil Service is a good example), staff transfer or move within the organisation to various jobs at equivalent levels on a regular basis. As I mentioned in the Civil Service, many staff transfer from one area to another with the Department every 3-4 years. Sometimes, these internal transfers may involve moving to a different office or location of the same Department and in the Civil Service, no compensation is paid to staff for these moves (unless agreed between unions and employers).

If you have a concern about transfers or moving offices, then I would suggest that you should raise this issue with your employer. Sometimes, if the option of moving office/transferring to another location will prove extremely difficult (i.e., from a commuting perspective), your employer may well be amenable to other options.

I would also suggest you might get in touch with your local staff representative (union), if you have one. You may find that there are other employees in the same situation who have concerns about tranferring or moving offices and your union can raise these concerns with management on your behalf.

The issue concerning whether or not you are entitled to voluntary redundancy, on the basis that the commute is impossible and you must resign, is a different matter. Cases decided before the Employment Appeals Tribunal have in the past, indicated that where the employer has moved more than a 20 mile radius from the previous location, the employer may claim their position is gone and they can make a claim to the Tribunal for voluntary redundancy. Read more about redundancy here:
?

Have a think about the above - I realise it's a lot to take in but iI hope it clarifies matters for you.

I'd suggest your first step however, might be to talk to your employer and see if they are amenable to other working arrangements. Remember, you and your employer can always re-negotiate certain terms of your contract, including your working hours and work arrangments.

Best of luck with this.

Thank you very much everyone for your sound advice.

Sorry Clubman - I did intend to say Private Sector Employee - just wasn't thinking as I typed!

I have discussed the move with my employer and will have to still face the nearly 4 hour commute, but will be able to leave the office a little earlier each day to ensure that I arrive home at the same time, and leave home in the morning at the same time. However, that still means that i spend less than 12 hours at home each day.

You're dead right, even a 3 hour commute is unsustainable long term - I'm finding it very hard. I've put in for a transfer to another office which would be closer to home, and hopefully I won't have to commute this much in the long term. If my transfer doesn't come through I will have to consider looking for alternate employment unfortunately.

Mo

Any chance that teleworking/working from home would suit the job, you and your employer - even for a few days a week?

Possibly not, as my post is mainly administrative, it requires me to be physically in the office - There's not many people can make teas and coffees from home ;)

Would there be any opportunities for (eventually) moving into another area/role with the same company that might facilitate this? I'm just trying to think laterally of possible solutions that might allow you to stay with your current employer while ameliorating or circumventing the commuting problems caused by the recent relocation.

Back