Issue with materials used by builder

Northsidecrk22

Hi,I recently asked a local builder to repair a small shed,which houses our heating bolier.The work involved fitting a new door and fittings on the shed,and we agreed a price etc. beforehand,and he completed the work.My only issue with the work is with the quality of material used to make the door.The wood and fittings are definitely reused/secondhand,and I would have definitely expected brand new materials when I agreed to the quote/job.Some of the wood is already split,so I feel this should be resolved.Can someone advise as to what rights I have here,can I expect the builder to either replace the door,or refund part of the payment?Thanks-Mal

Have you already paid for the work?

If not, then you can negotiate

If you have paid, then that sort of means that you were happy with the work done

@Northsidecrk22 I think I might be safe in assuming you had no contract with the builder, either written or oral. If that is the case, what standards are the materials used or the workmanship to be judged? The builder might be nice and redo some of the work with better materials, but in my view he is not obliged to as you've already paid without raising objections or inspecting in advance of payment. Sorry.

Back