Issue with Management Company

ohtwo

Hi,

We had a problem in our apartment (which we rent out) a number of months ago. Shower was blocking up all the time.

We called out a plumber who advised that a drainage company would need to be called out. After a long period of investigation, the drain company firstly detected a crack in the pipe underground, however this wasnt causing an issue. They then discovered that the blockage was caused by leaves and other matter getting into the pipes from an open outside gulley.

This gulley is on the outside of the property, which the management company have responsibility for maintaining.

We were left with a total bill of approximately €1500 for this work by the plumber and drainage company (which in the end really only amounted to clearing leaves from an outside gulley)

It is my belief that the management company neglected their duties by not maintaining the areas they are responsible for properly, resulting in the problem in my apartment.

Of course they are refusing to have anything to do with it.

Does anyone think I might be correct? And if so how I should go about putting in a claim?

There doesnt seem to be any body/regulator/ombudsman to put this question/complaint to.

Thanks

What does it say in your lease about external maintenance? I would be surprised if the management company wasn't responsible for this.

The management company should be able to tell you when and how often those gutters are cleaned and be able to produce invoices as proof.

Were the other apartments having the same issue?

I'm not sure to be honest.
As I dont live there I was dealing with this remotely.
The drain companies report says that the gulley was the cause of the blockage. They did CCTV surveys etc to find the cause. The apartment is on the ground floor and I believe the gulley is directly outside. I dont know what, if any other apartments are connected to this.

We had something similar in our complex, but it was the guttering. When it wasn't being cleared from the apartment above water was leaking in to the apartment below. I remember it being discussed a number of times at management meetings, and don't remember a clean resolution.

This *should* be covered under your block insurance policy - your management company can give you the details of it.

Check also - The directors are residents of the complex. I can understand how the company that you deal with may brush you off, but the directors are voted in by you. Their names should be sent out with the AGM minutes. Unless it is them that you have been dealing with they may not be aware of it - I typically would not go to them, but if the company is ignoring it then I would suggest a letter explaining your position.

I noticed that another poster put up a link to consumerconnect - if you search this, there is specific information on insurance and apartments - what's covered/not/etc..

... - your management company can give you the details of it.

Check also - The directors are residents of the complex...
Are you sure? I thought the directors of the management company were the owners of the apartments / houses.

Sorry I wasn't clear - I meant as much. Sorry where I am for the most part it's the one and the same. I own and reside in mine - all our directors own and reside in them also.

Do you mean the managing agent is ignoring the issue or the management company? I'm not really sure where you stand now that the job has been done. If it had been discovered that it was the responsibility of the management company because the fault began in the common areas it should have been fixed by them alright. You could try to put in a claim against the insurance, presuming your fees are all fully paid.

As somebody else said, was anyone else affected by this? Can you speak to some neighbours and see if anyone else had the same problem?

Back