Is there rebar in old mass poured concrete houses

F

flowerman

Just wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.
The old mass poured concrete homes that were built around Dublin in the 1930s and 1940s,the walls are about 250-260mm thick.
Does anyone know is there is rebar or steel mesh in the external walls of these houses?
Or is it just one big lump of mass poured concrete?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about houses ... not sure if mine is poured or block construction. But all the houses on the street have mass poured concrete garden sheds, and those do have rebar. I know because one of the neighbours dismantled one and was horrified to find it took days for three people with sledgehammers and angle grinders. All late '40s vintage.

I don't know about houses ... not sure if mine is poured or block construction. But all the houses on the street have mass poured concrete garden sheds, and those do have rebar. I know because one of the neighbours dismantled one and was horrified to find it took days for three people with sledgehammers and angle grinders. All late '40s vintage.

Thanks for the reply.A friend of mine is considering using a 5 inch diamond core drill to drill a 5 inch ventilation hole through the back wall in his 1940s built house.
He asked me if I reckoned there would be rebar in the wall,and I said I didnt know.
So I thought Id post here on AAM and ask.:)

The only place I've ever come across it in my place (or a friend's where I did some work) was in the concrete lintels over the doors. I presume over windows will be the same.

I've drilled smaller cores in my place, and it's slow work, and that's using a powerful SDS drill. Once the core is established, I ended up using long 6 mil masonary bits to drill at a few points around the diameter every so ofter to lessen the amount of work the core bit has to do.

The only place I've ever come across it in my place (or a friend's where I did some work) was in the concrete lintels over the doors. I presume over windows will be the same.

I've drilled smaller cores in my place, and it's slow work, and that's using a powerful SDS drill. Once the core is established, I ended up using long 6 mil masonary bits to drill at a few points around the diameter every so ofter to lessen the amount of work the core bit has to do.

Thats a good tip there with regards drilling some holes to lessen the load on the core bit.I,ll pass that tip onto my friend.

Back