Is there 'leeway' for speeding?

emeralds

I have heard it said more that once that there is leeway (10%) for speeding offences - so for example 55 kph in a 50 kph zone is allowable, or 88 kph in an 80 kph zone.

Is this true?

I don't think so, I got a fine and points for 55kph in a 50 zone when I was within sight of the 60 zone sign.

Your speedometer usually over-reports your speed by about 10% (manufacturers vary). If the clock says 88kph you could be just at the speed limit.

If leeway does exist I don't think it's as high as 10% and is more likely to be 5% or even less. There is no point is sending out points to a driver for travelling 81kph in an 80kph zone because they could have grounds to have it dismissed because of calibration/tolerance errors.

I don't think so, I got a fine and points for 55kph in a 50 zone when I was within sight of the 60 zone sign.

I feel for ya and I know you probably don't want to hear this but you need to slow down in advance of the 60kph sign. It is common practice for Gardaí and safety vans to lie in wait where the speed limit decreases e.g. coming off a motorway doing 120kph into an 80 kph zone or 80kph to 60kph, etc.

I know, it was unfortunate. I would never be caught on the open road as I don't think I have ever passed the speed limit, I'm not comfortable driving at highish speeds to tend to be well under the general limits. That incident was when I was just leaving the outskirts of a town and sure enough that's where they lurk, good catching ground as there is a very long stretch at 50, then 60 and nearly instantly up to 100.

I was always led to believe that the tolerance level on a speed gun was 2.5% although I do believe they've moved to a zero tolerance limit in the UK. I

Back