Is there any leeway for speeding?

The car speedo is always calibrate + the speed, mine always read 3 to 4 km faster than my sat nav which I consider more accurate
Yes, it's standard practice with cars.. Mine is about +5kmph over actual speed.

The car speedo is always calibrate + the speed, mine always read 3 to 4 km faster than my sat nav which I consider more accurate
EU legislation means that car speedometers must never under-read, but can overstate by as much as 10% of actual speed + 4km/h.

I was given a fixed notice fine of 160 euro over the weekend. Stopped going into a small town. Garda said I was doing 84km in a 50 zone. The 50 zone is not marked by a roadside sign on the LhS. There is one on the RHS but it's almost screened by a pole. In this instance I would imagine the zone should be marked on my side of the road. What should I do.?

I was given a fixed notice fine of 160 euro over the weekend. Stopped going into a small town.
Road speed limits

There are a total of five different types of speed limits throughout Ireland:
  • Town and city speed limits
  • National road speed limits
  • Regional and local road speed limits
  • Motorway speed limits
  • Special speed limits
Town and city speed limits (50 km/h)

A speed limit of 50 kilometres per hour is in place in built-up areas (other than motorways or special speed limit zones).

I was given a fixed notice fine of 160 euro over the weekend. Stopped going into a small town. Garda said I was doing 84km in a 50 zone. The 50 zone is not marked by a roadside sign on the LhS. There is one on the RHS but it's almost screened by a pole. In this instance I would imagine the zone should be marked on my side of the road. What should I do.?
If you were going in to a small town surely you would have known that the speed limit wasn't 84 km. Just saying ..

Back