Is stamp duty payable?

nutty nut

My mate has been living in Belfast for about 20 years. His first house was bought in his wifes name from the housing executive. They sold it about 3 years ago and bought another in joint names. He is now thinking of returning to Donegal and buying a new house. I think he is looking at a house in the €200,000 - €250,000 bracket.

Will he be liable for stamp duty and if so would anyone have an idea of the percentage involved.

Thanks in advance

He is not a first time buyer for SD purposes if that's what you're asking?
That would be part of the question. Is he still liable as his present house is in Northern Ireland?

Any idea of the rates of stamp duty or any links?

Thanks

If he is moving to Donegal and selling his own house and buying a new house he will most likely not have any Stamp Duty.

PM me if you want specific information on whether Stamp Duty is due on the house he is thinking of buying

If its a new house (newly built) then if he is an owner occupier he will not have stamp duty. But if his "new" house is a second hand property, then he'll pay 4%.

mf

Thanks for the replies folks. He is almost certain that he will be buying one that is presently under construction in a small cul de sac. Its the biggest and the dearest in the cluster but its the only one his missus will move to. She's Belfast born and bred and and its going to take something special to get her to move.

Anyway as it is new and as you have all indicated he wont have to pay stamp duty.

Thanks again.

Back