Health Insurance Is private health insurance REALLY necessary ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahaay

A genuine question this.
Our family has never had health insurance and to this day our GP regularly assures us it isn't really necessary.
His thinking - and I tend to agree with him - is that in the event of an emergency or serious medical condition any patient would be treated anyway regardless of whether they had insurance or not.
For non-serious illnesses or complaints all private health insurance does is speed up waiting times for consultant appointments and MRI scans etc which you could easily pay for privately from the many thousands of euros you have saved over the years by not having health insurance.
Like everything,I suppose,it's a gamble but almost everyone I know who has had health insurance for donkey's years has never had to use it.
And when they have there are so many exemptions and additional fees they've had to pay it has felt like a rip-off.

A genuine question this.
Our family has never had health insurance and to this day our GP regularly assures us it isn't really necessary.
His thinking - and I tend to agree with him - is that in the event of an emergency or serious medical condition any patient would be treated anyway regardless of whether they had insurance or not.
For non-serious illnesses or complaints all private health insurance does is speed up waiting times for consultant appointments and MRI scans etc which you could easily pay for privately from the many thousands of euros you have saved over the years by not having health insurance.
Like everything,I suppose,it's a gamble but almost everyone I know who has had health insurance for donkey's years has never had to use it.
And when they have there are so many exemptions and additional fees they've had to pay it has felt like a rip-off.
Waheey.
Don,t largely disagree with you .
But will people save that k2 every year ?

Those of us who have had Private since way back are now kindof stuck with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back