Is my husband a first time buyer?

L

lauraquinn

I bought a house in my own name several years ago, before I was married. The mortgage was in my name alone and my husband made no financial contribution towards it.

We are now purchasing a second house. If we put the title deeds and mortgage in my husbands name alone, can he avail of first time buyers relief?

Thanks.

No, we can put the second mortgage solely in his name.

If he's able to buy it completely on his own, then it might be possible. You may have to sign something to legally state that you are not taking a beneficial interest in the property. My understanding is that, you would have a beneficial interest in all your spouses assets by default. I'm open to correction on this though so you should talk to a professional to remove any doubt or better still call Revenue directly, as ultimately it's them who will decide whether he is a FTB or not.

If he's able to buy it completely on his own, then it might be possible. You may have to sign something to legally state that you are not taking a beneficial interest in the property. My understanding is that, you would have a beneficial interest in all your spouses assets by default. I'm open to correction on this though so you should talk to a professional to remove any doubt or better still call Revenue directly, as ultimately it's them who will decide whether he is a FTB or not.

Thank you.

Back