Is it worth my while.... Free car but in bad nick

KTD123

Heres the story. My brother emigrated to Australia in Feburary and I became the proud owner of his old car, gifted to me by him. I was planning to buy myself one sometime soon. Its a 2002 Peugeot 206 convertible automatic 1.6l. It is NCTd til next month and he added me to his insurance as a named driver until it expires in June. I replaced the front 2 tyres with new ones as they were totally bald. Back tyres should be ok. Car has had 7 previous owners and has no service history. Today as I was pulling off the M50 the exhaust fell off. It is covered in rust and must have gotten a hole as it fell as I don't hear anything beforehand.
My question is it worth my while getting this car to pass the NCT? Will it cost me more to get it to pass than I'll make back in a trade in? I'm pretty clueless about cars so any advise is welcomed.

My instinctive reaction is TRADE IT IN. The capitals are deliberate.

Also, something to consider is that getting new insurance policy on cars older than 10 years is getting harder.

Whatever about the car, get insurance in your own name. You are likely to end up in bother if you have to rely on a policy where the main driver no longer resides in the state.

Why would he add you as a named driver to his insurance? Do you hold a driver's licence or a learner's permit?

Thanks for the reply. I have a full licence. I'm a named driver on husbands car also. Brothers car is still in his name so that's why I was added to his insurance. Also it's not a very practical car for me so was never going to keep it long term. I'm wondering if I should trade in as is ..... with exhaust in the boot, or if I should get it fixed first.

My question is it worth my while getting this car to pass the NCT? Will it cost me more to get it to pass than I'll make back in a trade in?

Garages, selling new or second-hand will juggle with numbers, as in allowing you more against an inflated price, but all you will really get for any 14 year old Peugeot as a trade in is 2/3 hundred euro.

I think it would be uneconomical to spend any money on the Peugeot.

You said the car is still in your brother’s name, If you intend trying to avail of any of the scrappage type offers, most if not all, require the trade in to be registered in your name.

What is the mileage ?, the exhaust is wear and tear, don't let that put you off, it is a cute car if it looks well you will sell it, check obvious items, tyres, lights , oil and levels and put it through test, it has no value really without the test, if it fails you can price up the work or kick it down the road but you will know for sure.

These cars seem capable of clocking up some serious mileage and getting through NCT, even 1999/2000 versions. What'll count against it in a resale situation is the 1.6 engine, higher tax, higher insurance BUT it's free and you may get 2 more years out of it just for the running costs. You need to get it in your name and insure it. Possibly the best chance you're gonna get to get on the insurance / trade in ladder for just the running costs. In 2 years time what'll it owe you (unless you have ankle-biters going to football / camogie or doggies to transport) Brakes, clutches, exhausts, batteries and tyres are all just consumables.

Last edited:
. Car has had 7 previous owners and has no service history.

This would worry me, a lot, and I know nothing about cars. Can you not ask the garage to assess the car as to roadworthness etc. Also ask for an estimate for the exhaust and any other repairs that might be needed and make the decision based on that, garage should give you an idea of how long they think it will last.

Brothers car is still in his name so that's why I was added to his insurance.

Not a good enough reason. If there is an incident the insurance company will need to deal with your brother. Once it's obvious he's out of the country, you will find you do not have insurance cover.

OP you do not have insurance cover. Check any insurance proposal form and look at the assumptions about the proposer, in the this case your brother. Get it insured or get it off the road. I don't want my premium increasing again if you have an accident as yet another uninsured driver.

Back