Is Easyjet return cancelled if outgoing flight not used?

A

aine

I booked a return flight with Easyjet from London to Barcelona months ago. I have decided to travel the outward journey with Ryanair because it is more convenient for me. Will the return flight hold or do I need to make contact with Easyjet?

Return

I think I have heard stories wherby an individual could book a return flight cheaper than a one way flight. The trick seems to be to book the return flight going out and a different return flight coming back, perhaps for a different day . Then use the bits that suit.

Re: Return

Slurry Slump.. this is called back-to-back ticketing .. it used to be a very viable option back in the olden days when airlines were charging insane prices for short (day or 1 overnight ) trips ... e.g. only maybe 3 years ago to do Dublin-London r/t on a day return basis it would have cost £300 (so almost €400) and one way tickets weren't available.

The "trick" worked by exploiting the large price differential between an unrestriced return ticket with no minumum stay vs. 2 return tickets with restriction and Sat. night stay rule etc.

Now that most airlines sell o/w tickets at reasonalbe enough prices this isnt' usually an issue any more.

But as an eaxmple of how it could work

Say you had to Fly from DUB - LON on a Monday for the day .. a r/t ticket for that day woudl cost €400 (say oneways are €200 each - they would have been back then) but a r/t ticket with a Sat night stay would cost €100 ex Dublin and £70 ex London

So in this scenario you would buy
1x Monday morning Dublin - London ticket returning the following Monday afternoon (or whenever as long as its more than a Sat. night stay) from London-Dublin - cost €100
1x Monday evening London-Dublin ticket returning the following Monday morning Dublin-London - cost £70

So total cost = ~ €200 .. half the price of the original crazy price (and you could get a 2nd trip for free if you used both coupons on the ticket)

* Som US Airlines don't like this and will actualy cancel reservations on this (solution book one of the tickets on a different airline)
* Note that you have to use the first coupon on both tickets .. you can either use or chuck the 2nd coupon.. but you cannot use coupons out of sequence.

Easyjet

sueellen, yes I read that post and that is what raised the question in my mind. I assume with Easyjet there will not be a problem since there is no added cost (I think) for a oneway flight. Am I right........???????

Re: Easyjet

I would contact Easyjet - your booking will be stored in their system I would imagine as a r/t booking (I assume you booked it as a round trip and not as 2 one way transactions on your credit card ?) .. if you don't show for the 1st segment you'll probably find they'll cancel the whole thing - or at least there's a strong risk they might.

As you're not trying to evade fare restrictions / or even get your money back ? I dont think there'll be a problem but I would contact them to make sure they dont' cancel your return reservation.

Easy

EvilDoctorK
I will take your advice and contact them. No, I am not looking for a refund of the £5.99!!!

Back