Is car a write off?

comanche

Ok so here's what happened. No accident or anything like that, belt that drives alternator and power steering pump popped off and jammed the timing belt. Car stopped pretty sharpish after that (luckily I had just come off the M50!)

The car renault megane '99 with 115k miles.

I don't know what damage it has done and won't know until a mechanic takes the top end off.

So here's my question is the car an econmical write off?

Given that I am not exactly flush at the moment (about 20k in savings that I am hoping to put towards a house deposit sometime in the future)

My options as I see them are

1. Repair engine head
2. Put on engine head from a breakers
3. Drop in a new engine from a breakers
4. Buy an end of life car (something for ~1500e and hope to get a year or two out of it)
5. Buy an 3-4 yr old with my savings and start saving again.

The car itself I bought 2 years ago with 95k miles for 4500. So I am thinking that I should cut my loses as ~5000e (all in - tax, insurance, petrol, servicing etc) per year for motoring isn't too bad

I would love to give up driving altogether but I have no option, live in naas work in citywest.

So any one have opinions as to what my best option is or see any other options?

You need to see what exactly it costs to repair.

I reckon you could get a repalcement engine complete for maybe €500 if need be. Perhaps in the North. Fitting will be extra.

RS2K said:
You need to see what exactly it costs to repair.

I reckon you could get a repalcement engine complete for maybe €500 if need be. Perhaps in the North. Fitting will be extra.

have sourced a new engine for £350 - approx 550e.

a new timing belt & waterpump would need to be put on ~500 euro

then there's labour for fitting it ~500 euro again.

Add in towing it ~ 100 euro

guts of 1700 euro...

Hang on if the engine is already out then changing a timing belt is a swift job as is the waterpump.

Shop much harder.

Changing the belt is no problem, fixing the damage could be another thing though.

I would be tempted to cut my losses.

Back