Irish Residing/Future, UK Debt?

Fooddestroyer

was recommended this site, so here goes:

Currently working in Dublin for over 14months, and hoping to stay here long term with family (wife and 2 young kids). Both my wife and I in our 30's and still planning to make a decent future. We've kids in school here, new friends, bank accounts open, and paying our way happily here.

Issue: own a property in N.Ireland (UK) mortgaged it in 2005 (pre-marriage), but I still owe £141k, but current market value is around £85k. Currently seeking advice on long-term/"going forward" options and implications of them. Early conversations pointing me towards UK "bankruptcy" or "IVA", as this potential negative-equity mountain is too high to scale AND make a life together!

I've no other assets or debt, just this one bum property. We are currently living rent free in a property connected with the project that I am currently working on, but also don't mind renting long term in Dublin area, and even saving for a new mortgage deposit in the future, assuming I will change jobs/projects in future (and even qualify for another mortgage!)

The concerned property in N.Ireland is in just my name and not my wife's. I am both a UK citizen and Irish citizen (I've both passports). My wife is American nationality, but married to me for over 6 years and is eligible for Irish citizenship this year (2015).

Any pointers or advise welcome as we are confused about the best route forward.

Many thanks in advance.

Back