Irish online shopping vs UK online shopping

STEINER

I needed a small tool/gadget posted out today, so that I would have it this Thursday afternoon where I would be doing a small DIY job.

I rang the online supplier today at 9.30am to check before I ordered it online and was told it has to be retrieved from the warehouse and the earliest delivery would be this Friday at a delivery cost to me of €6.90 from Dublin to Kildare.

I went on to Amazon.co.uk and got the exact same product and I paid for 2 day delivery this Thursday, which is when I have to have the product ( I cannot physically travel to a store before Thursday to source the tool)

Irish retailers need to cop themselves on.

Irish businesses are hamstrung by the size of the market here, we're just way too small to put efficiencies of scale into practice. No Irish retailer could ever come close to the ruthlessly efficient machine that is the Amazon distribution system, the fulfillment centres that pick/pack and ship the goods so quickly cost €1-200 million each to commission, and running costs are pretty significant.

Irish customers just pay too much for poor service.
from the Virginal Media flyer re rebranding UPC
UPC’s basic ‘three-play’ bundles, which consist of television, internet and landline, range from €75 to €90 per month.
Equivalent deals from Virgin Media for UK customers cost between €23.89 and €70 per month 9 for c 200 channels

Irish customers just pay too much for poor service.
from the Virginal Media flyer re rebranding UPC
UPC’s basic ‘three-play’ bundles, which consist of television, internet and landline, range from €75 to €90 per month.
Equivalent deals from Virgin Media for UK customers cost between €23.89 and €70 per month 9 for c 200 channels

But again a lot of that is down to the size of the market and population density here.

Back