Irish Motor Insurance Bureau

Delboy

Anyone out there ever have to make a claim through the IMIB? Are they easy to deal with....do they take long?

Had my parked car damaged and the van driver who did it was'nt insured. Said he'd pay but now has reneged. Guards are going to prosecute him andd the van owner who lent it to him - they told me to claim through the IMIB, but I see they have an excess of €440....thats half the total of the damage done.....you just can't win in his feckin country.

Yep. Was ploughed into by a drunken driver with no insurance five years ago. He did IR£1500 worth of damge to my new car! Got two assessments and they sent out an accessor and I had a cheque within a couple of months minus their excess though.

They are easy to deal with.

BRICKTOP said:
Yep. Was ploughed into by a drunken driver with no insurance five years ago. He did IR£1500 worth of damge to my new car! Got two assessments and they sent out an accessor and I had a cheque within a couple of months minus their excess though.

They are easy to deal with.

thanks for that. this excess is a bit of a joke though - cant understand why they have it...their website say it's a EU set figure. But at €440, thats the cost of half the damage done to my car...but what can you do!!!

I too lost out on IR£350. I did have comp insurance but I would have lost my no claims (max) and the insurance would have gone up by IR£1,000 had I claimed (it was a sports car). Needless to say I have no claims protection now!

The guy that hit me got a ten year ban (he was already banned for a year) and a IR£300 fine (spread over six months!!!). Judge refused to award any compensation for damage to my car to me as the defendant was claiming social welfare. Anyway enough of my rant....

Best of luck with your claim.

Bricktop,
that seems pretty unfair,

I think in your case the judge should have made him pay, maybe by saying well, you can't drive the car, sell it and pay bricktop his loss.

guess would depend on if another person insured on it, for family use or whatever?
anyway, I think it should work like that, if he can't come up with the cash.

Resident, I agree, but as the cliche goes "Life ain't fair".

It still bugs me if I ever think of it, but until the State imposes much heavier penalties for driving without insurance, this is going to continue to happen. Luckily IMIB softens the blow if you are unlucky to "run into" one of these individuals.

Had to make a claim through them about six years ago.
Damage was around 1,000, got about 700.
They sent an assessor out within a week or two but the claim dragged on for months. Being a persistant fecker, I kept ringing and asking when it was going to be settled, and I think this helped reach a conclusion. Paobably 8-9 months to sort, but that was 6 years ago

I had a claim with them around 7 years ago, when a joyrider crashed into and wrote off my (unoccupied parked) car - I had no-one to claim off. I found the MIBI absolutely fantastic to deal with. From reporting the incident to getting my cheque took less than a month. I was completely without a car and had to buy a new one, as at the time I used my car in my work capacity, so I was also able to include transport expenses I'd incurred as part of my claim.

BRICKTOP said:
I too lost out on IR£350. I did have comp insurance but I would have lost my no claims (max) and the insurance would have gone up by IR£1,000 had I claimed (it was a sports car). Needless to say I have no claims protection now!

The guy that hit me got a ten year ban (he was already banned for a year) and a IR£300 fine (spread over six months!!!). Judge refused to award any compensation for damage to my car to me as the defendant was claiming social welfare. Anyway enough of my rant....

Best of luck with your claim.

Thats tought so it is, but thats the way of this country. The fella that hit my car does'nt have insurance or even a licence, is unemployed...so there's no point me chasing him for money. I'll let the guards prosecute him...I'll get soem satisfaction that way. They're also going to prosecute the van owner who is insured and loaned his van to this guy knowing he was'nt covered. I was thinking of chasing the owner via a solicitor for compensation but whats the point....i'd have to pay for a solicitor then!!! and it'd drag on. I'll go the IMIB route
The excess is ridiculous....penalises the innocent party.

Ceepee....those exps you claimed for- were they vouched for? i.e. did you have receipts? I've spent quiet a bit of money driving around trying to get the car fixed up, as well as diving to various cop stations as i got shuffled from 1 to another, plus numerous phone calls to chase this thing up initially.

BRICKTOP said:
Resident, I agree, but as the cliche goes "Life ain't fair".

It still bugs me if I ever think of it, but until the State imposes much heavier penalties for driving without insurance, this is going to continue to happen. Luckily IMIB softens the blow if you are unlucky to "run into" one of these individuals.
couldn't agree more... starting driving in 2001 myself (about the worst year to start) and paid £3100 for TPF&T on a 1.1L 106... the next day i read about a case where a guy got a £300 fine for been caught without insurance for the second time ... made me sick....

Delboy - yes, I had receipts - a couple of taxi receipts and car hire for two weeks. I didn't submit receipts for anything I would have had to pay out for anyway, such as petrol. Bear in mind this was approx seven years ago, so you should verify that this is still the case before you go and hire yourself a Lamborghini.

Back