Irish Life plan for baby

Adelie

Looking for plan for almost 1 year old, because our renewal is coming up and he will no longer be covered free on our plan.

I saw a few plans on here recommended but I was thinking it would be easier to keep him on Irish Life because I'm on Irish Life (Be Fit 3 plan through work) unless there is a good reason not to. I think a more basic plan is fine for a baby since we have GP Under 6 card and the children's hospitals are public.

I have seen that Select Plus is discounted to 180 for children, is that a reasonable plan for a 1 year old? Or other Irish Life recommendations, or should we really look elsewhere?

Renewal date is 26/12/2018.

Thanks!!

Hi Adelie,

Welcome to AAM. The hospital cover he has at the moment covers all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals. The 3 hi-tech hospitals only deal
with children over 3 years of age.

The following 4 plans are worth considering, VHI allow children to be insured on their own, an adult is just named on the policy but just the children are insured.

1. VHI Start Plan; Price 103 per child; a selected list of public hospitals are covered on this plan. The list includes the 3 childrens hospitals in
Dublin. Its important to check this list to ensure the selected hospitals suit your location.

2. Irish Life Select Plan; Price 180pa; a selected list of public and private hospitals covered on this plan, including the 3 childrens hospitals in Dublin. The private hospitals only deal with teenagers, so the only reason for choosing this plan is because it covers a private room in a
public hospital. The private rooms are usually kept for infectious diseases or those with a terminal illness and are never guaranteed.

[broken link removed]

3. Irish Life Better Active plan; price 239pa; all public(including private room), private(including private room) and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered,
the hi-tech hospitals deal with children from age 3+ so this plan will continue the cover he has at the moment.

4. VHI One + Plan; price 209pa; all public(including private room) private and 3 hi-tech hospitals covered, private/hi-tech excess 125 per admission or day case procedure. This plan will continue the hospital cover he has at the moment.

[broken link removed]

I'm not sure if you get a discount for your baby through your job, if so it would be worth choosing an Irish Life plan to suit. If not then the
VHI plans are better value.

Regards, Snowyb

Back