Irish Dancing or what??

The Question of Ringlets

Jeez no rainyday, I’m all for natural hair. The thing with the ringlets was that it was part of the whole “rig-out” as I remember it, so were poodle socks. I don’t know how either of this are Irishy but marks could be lost/won on the back of them. In fairness to ringlets though; if they are not the totally daft ones, they do “set-off” certain routines as they bounce around to the dance. I reckon they are a way to distract judges from less than step-perfect dancing. Anyway there’s nothing to stop you not doing it, but don’t expect to carry home many trophies, so I suppose you are either in it (faults and all) or not. Which reminds me; anyone remember the daftness of the trophies?? Some were bigger than the kids, no joke. I have photos of some at home with my arms around them. The more prestegious the feis, the more mental the trophy, it would seem.

Unless they desperately wanted to do it, I wouldn’t have any kid of mine involved in competitive Irish dancing - or a lot of individual competitions, for that matter. For different reasons, the swimming club and gala circuit were stone mad as well. I look back with much fonder memories on things like community games and Scor na Nog (as mentioned by Tommy). Still competitive but they were a bit of craic and you got to meet other kids from all over.

Rebecca

well as a relative of Fr Neil Horan I find the
photo you have used on this post despicable

This picture (of several other people including Mr. Horan) came from a published newspaper As a genuine piece of reportage I cannot see how you deem it despicable unless you are referring to Mr. Horan's actions in the situation in question? However given that you have objected I have unilaterally decided to remove the post in question to avoid causing you further offence. I trust that this is to your satisfaction?

Re: The Question of Ringlets

Ta Clubman, put yourself in my position, if it was a member of your family how would you feel ? He has already brought enough embarassment to the family without being included in a serious ? discussion on Irish dancing.

He's also put himself very much in the public domain Leatherarse, with his antics. Just like Michael jackson!

Ta Clubman, put yourself in my position, if it was a member of your family how would you feel ? He has already brought enough embarassment to the family without being included in a serious ? discussion on Irish dancing.

Fair enough. Apologies for any further offence/embarrassment caused on my part. I initially thought that you might have been taking the piss but accept your bona fides on this now. You might like to consider the fact that the moderator (not me as it happens) who removed the MJ topic also did so on the basis that they found the material objectionable and, within the remit of the site's moderation policy, decided that it was inappropriate. I'm sure that this specific incident here gives you some insight into and appreciation of why this moderation decision might be deemed appropriate even if not everybody might agree with it?

Back