Ireland's Trump

T mc Gibney,

I do not dispute your (dry) figures , you are probably 100% correct.

What I see is that we have NO option but to sort social housing, if that is a probable drag on states finances I consider that better than the vista that's unfolding ?

(surely in Celtic Tiger days ,far from being efficiently cost effective ,too many builders/developers/bankers were cloud-cuckoo merchants)

What I see is that we have NO option but to sort social housing, if that is a probable drag on states finances I consider that better than the vista that's unfolding ?

Which vista is that ? The one where half of the offers of council housing are refused? Obviously we don't need more social housing.

They're gone to Australia and Canada.
They were working in a sector where demand outstripped supply, costs were heavily subsidised through tax breaks (to the supplier and purchaser) and labour was heavily unionised. In short all interference in the market encouraged higher prices and mitigated any drive towards efficiency and innovation as would be the case in a open market where the usual competitive pressures were present.
It is far cheaper in real terms to build or buy a car, a computer, a table, a circuit board, a precision machined part, clothing, food etc than it was 20 years ago. That's because of improvements in efficiency and productivity in the supply chain due to innovation and the application of technology as a result of competitive market forces.
The cost of building a house should be a half of what it is. We have a housing crisis because the construction industry spent it's time lobbying the government and getting tax breaks instead of getting better at delivering houses and buildings. I's love to see every new house in the country come in flat packed on the back of a truck from Europe. We've have a superior product for a much lower price an the people who can't compete in an open market would be out of a job.

Which vista is that ? The one where half of the offers of council housing are refused? Obviously we don't need more social housing.

I hear you and fully accept having people permitted to refuse house is in nearly every case grossly wrong.
I don,t think that equates to saying we don,t need more social housing.
I also feel there is a rotten (entitlement) culture around this .

Back