iPhone 6 problems

Ed054

Hi I entered into a new contract with eir Wicklow Town in October 2014 and got a new iPhone 6.
In early October 2015 it stopped charging and I took it back to the store.
After a week I got a call from them to say the phone was back.
When I went into the store they advised that it was being replaced with a new one.
I started experiencing the same problems last week with the new phone and took it back to the store on Monday.
I called them today and was told that as it is out of warranty it will cost €320 to repair it.
They refuse to acknowledge that the Sales of Goods Act applies and have advised that either I pay for the repair upfront or they will return the phone to me un repaired.
I would appreciate any practical advice.
Thanks

Ring Apple Customer Care / Tech Support

Give them all the details and never ever buy an Apple product from those chancers / idiots again

What was the term of the original warranty? Getting a replacement within the warranty period does not re-start the warranty clock.

Phones failing to charge is usually as a result of forces on the cable/phone while plugged in forcing one of more of the solder connection on the pins failing. This type of fault is not covered under standard warranty, Sale & Supply of Goods act wouldn't apply if that's the issue here.

The original warranty as offered by eir is irrelevant here. Apple uses the 6 year term established under Irish case law in dealing with warranty issues, which is why it always makes sense to deal with them directly rather then some of their lower reputation resellers.

As the vendor, it's quite relevant as that's the relationship governed by the Sale & Supply of goods act.

Any attempt by eir to offer a "warranty" that limits a purchaser's rights as established in Irish case law is illegal. It's time consumers got off their knees and faced up to these retail bullies. It's disappointing if you see yourself as the retailers' advocate here.

Can you give an example of such a warranty? Any I've seen clearly call out that the warranty is in addition to your statutory rights. I'd genuinely be interested in reading the history of the case law you refer to also, if you're familiar with cases, it should be easy enough find them in the online search tool.

I'm advocating reality, your contract under which consumer protection is enshrined in law is with the vendor, not the manufacturer. Any warranty or after-sales service a manufacturer chooses to offer is done so out of good will and brand reputation protection, there is no obligation under law for them to do so. Also, charging port failures are 99.99% the result of abuse, and that's very obvious as soon as you open the device. Such abuse is not covered by statutory rights.

Back