Investing now to help kids get on the property ladder in 10 years

It’s difficult to plan ahead with certainty on either suggestions. Property could go down in price. Prices look to be remaining very high despite interest rates. Tenants might not want to leave plus rules around RPZ are unattractive. Plus we might have a new government who could further strengthen tenants right. But the stock market could also drop. Many are saying it’s due a correction. Not sure I’d opt for either at present. Don’t rush into it.
Very inexperienced with stocks , and that' why we hadnt really considered it. Beginning to appreciate the liquidity of shares vs property afer answere here

There's a lot of negative responses to the idea of buying property

The idea i think is to hedge against rises in property prices which on basic level makes sense to me

The specifics are more for the OP to decide
Eg to let to his kids
Or to sell for deposit
Or combination of the two
Yes, it's really to hedge re property prices. It's to have options in the future re helping them.

There are good reasons why so many small landlords have recently exited and continue to exit the Irish market. I am such a landlord (with 25+ experience years in the Irish BTL market). It is a business, it must be run as a business and as with any business it is not hands off. There will always be challenges arising, issues to contend with and risk exposure with BTLs. However, the single biggest adverse factor to contend with is the amount of volatility with market regulations introduced by the government. Your ability to liquidate the investment at a time and in a manner of your chosing is continuously being eroded by government changes to regulation. This business is not investor friendly. Unless you have prior experience being a landlord in Ireland, I suggest you avoid.
Very inexperienced with stocks/share , and that' why we hadnt really considered it. Beginning to appreciate the liquidity of shares vs property afer answers here - thank you . And also difficulties of being a small landlord. I'm embarrased to say, I had to google RPZ

You mentioned that your timeline is 10 years renting before helping the children. The eldest is 22. If the investment is to provide accommodation, I would expect the eldest to need it in less than 10 years. If it is to provide money for a deposit, perhaps too. But most of all, a property is not a great liquidity.
The 2k rent you mentioned is very low and would make a low return for risk and work involved in such an investment. And with the rpz, you have very little prospect for rent increase. My children are younger, we live in Dublin and have a rental locally. I am currently keeping the rental property because I would expect my eldest to need accommodation in the next 4 years and perhaps before as we have a smallish standard house and personally I don't want to live with adult children. However I don't think it's a brilliant financial idea and find it harder and harder to justify it to myself in a rpz world.
Thanks Premos. Personally I wouldnt envisage it as place for the kids in the short-ish term . Unless they give us the market rent! ;-) It's more for when they need/want to settle down . I know that could be sooner, or even never - who knows. And it may not be in Dubin... it's more to give us options. And see previous posts I replied to today. Thanks again for reply

Back